Posted to users@maven.apache.org by lgestrin <lg...@markettools.com> on 2006/09/20 20:49:03 UTC

release using MVN - what happends to dependency management?

Hi,
i have a question about release of project that uses parent pom
dependencyManagement to declare dependency versions.
this is the src structure
products/web1/
products/web2/
shared/webcommon/
shared/common/
shared/pom/    <--contains parent pom.xml  (version=1.0-snapshot) that
defines the latest versions for all articifacts using dependencyManagement.
it's a parent for  other artifacts

the book says that release plugin will modify verrsions in all pom.xml that
are part of the release. After release is commited, shared/parent/pom.xml
will have different version. other released arifacts versions have changed
too. So, there is a job to do of updating each artifacts pom.xml to new
parent pom.xml and also updating parent's pom.xml to look for new versions
in dependencyMgmt. is this a necessary overhead with parent inheritance and
central dependency mght?
thanks

Re: release using MVN - what happends to dependency management?

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
I dont think the structure you have would work with release plugin, there ar
JIRA on these issues on using
relative paths to search for parent pom.

You must the have the root pom at the top level.  and all subprojects share
the same versionid
(ie use release plugin to release all project in one shot)

there are 2 examples of this structure

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/scm/trunk/

http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/mojo/maven-native/