Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2006/02/10 07:56:35 UTC

Upgrading svn.collab.net's httpd?

I'm running into a bug with ra_serf that can be traced to an Apache httpd
bug present in all 2.0.x servers.  That series doesn't do lingering close
correctly and is really noticable when MaxKeepAliveRequests is absurdly
low.  This bug is fixed in httpd 2.1.8+ (i.e. 2.2.x is fine).  (The 'fix'
is to restore 1.3's lingering close behavior.)

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200602.mbox/%3c20060210053631.GZ9098@scotch.ics.uci.edu%3e

Regardless of svn.collab.net's version, serf can now handle this bug
gracefully, but the presence of this bug doesn't help matters.  So, I'll
kindly ask that we consider upgrading our server to a more modern version
of httpd - like, say 2.2.0.  =)

Also, it'd be nice if we can push up MaxKeepaliveRequests to something
reasonable - like at least 1000.  The default in httpd is 100 but
svn.collab.net has it set to 10 (which is why I hit this bug pretty hard).
I think even 100 is really low for a Subversion httpd server and for the
types of operations that it can perform.

If you need any assistance, I'm more than willing to make myself available
in any way that I can.

Thanks.  -- justin

Re: svn.collab.net downtime early warning (was Re: Upgrading svn.collab.net's httpd?)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Here's the deal.  CollabNet is in the process of acquiring new hardware
> for svn.collab.net, which should arrive and be configured with a much
> newer OS in a couple of weeks.

The new svn.collab.net-to-be machine has arrived, has been configured by
CollabNet Ops and delivered to the colo facility.  It has now been
turned over to me for further configuration and eventual migration of
the information that lives on the existing svn.collab.net machine.

Watch this space for more developments.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

svn.collab.net downtime early warning (was Re: Upgrading svn.collab.net's httpd?)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2006 11:26:18 -0600, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:
>
>>I thought a saw a private response from cmpilato agreeing to this, but
>>there was nothing public.  Did he send that, or has there been no
>>response?
>

> Nothing public, AFAICT.  -- justin

Oh.  Right.  Sorry.

Here's the deal.  CollabNet is in the process of acquiring new hardware
for svn.collab.net, which should arrive and be configured with a much
newer OS in a couple of weeks.  Instead of being a desktop box living in
a closet of a small office, we'll have a server-class machine living a
colo facility.  Anyway, the highlights of general interest to folks here:

  * Justin tells me I needn't worry about the httpd 2.2.x upgrade at
    this time -- we'll just run 2.2.x on the new machine.

  * He did ask that the MaxKeepaliveRequests thingy get bumped up, which
    I've done.

  * There will come a day in the near future where we'll be moving the
    Subversion source code repository to a new machine.  Obviously, I'll
    be doing everything I can to keep the window of inaccessibility as
    small as possible, and will give at least a day's notice before the
    Big Event.

That's the skinny.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.