Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com> on 2012/02/17 17:21:47 UTC

[config.xml] Splash screen spec and other biz

FYI, the W3C community group on "native web apps" is doing some revisions
on the config.xml (Widget Configuration and Packaging) spec. They've taken
feedback Michael and I submitted a while ago and incorporated a splash
screen element! Hurray!

I'd like to see us eventually use a config.xml document for applications
built with cordova.

See below for more info.

Re: [config.xml] Splash screen spec and other biz

Posted by Marcos Caceres <co...@marcosc.com>.
Hi,

On Friday, 17 February 2012 at 16:38, Michael Brooks wrote:

> The W3C Native Web Apps community group has been great at accepting
> Cordova's feedback on the Widget Configuration and Packing spec. So this is
> a good opportunity for us to continue testing and helping to spec out the
> splash screen.
>
> Another implementation to look at is BlackBerry's `loadingScreen` element
> [1]. Personally, I like how can specify a background color to the loading
> screen. Your image is then centered on the screen, regardless of its size.
> This is a great way to side-step the fragmentation of screen sizes and
> pixel density.

Might be nice to just support a style=" " attribute on the <splash> element. That avoids defining new stylistic attributes and just lets devs use CSS (which is easier to earn and to test in the browser before copying it into the config.xml … it's also much more extensible).

For example:

<splash style="background-color: black;
                       width: 50%;
                       height: 50%;
                       left: 25%;
                       top: 25%;
                       " src="images/spalsh.png" />

Initially, the supported CSS rules could be quite small… but with a bit of time, it could be expanded to support gradients, or animations etc.

We could even mint a new set of rules just for splash screens, like "splash-position: left top;" or "splash-position: center center;".

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.