Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io> on 2015/12/31 14:08:03 UTC

Source distribution

I added a build command for creating a source distribution (see GEODE-627):

`gradle srcDistTar`

A normal build will create both the binary and src tar/zip files.

Anthony-Baker-MacBook-Pro:incubator-geode abaker$ ls -l gemfire-assembly/build/distributions/
total 404040
-rw-r--r--  1 abaker  staff  89908576 Dec 31 06:53 apache-geode-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 abaker  staff  89923450 Dec 31 06:53 apache-geode-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.zip
-rw-r--r--  1 abaker  staff  10381760 Dec 31 06:59 apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 abaker  staff  16648398 Dec 31 06:57 apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.zip

Anthony

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Nitin Lamba <ni...@ampool.io>.
Yes, makes sense to merge GEODE-610 before the release branch. Thanks!

@William - sure, whatever we decide; I'm easy :)

- Nitin
Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Nitin Lamba <ni...@ampool.io>.
In my mind, git release branch is internal so we can pick a naming convention and stick to it. Only suggestion there is to drop 'incubating'. If there are divergent views, suggest we call a quick vote and take action by Friday. Thoughts?

Also, the artifacts/ contents will be reviewed by mentors as part of release sign-off anyway so we can proceed with the alpha1 based on what we have.

+1 on Niall's efforts - thanks!

Best,
Nitin

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Nitin Lamba <ni...@ampool.io> wrote:
> >
> >> You're right Anthony - my bad.
> >>
> >> I did download the archive but accidentally opened the older tar.gz from
> >> April, 2015:
> >> geode-1.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT.src.tar.gz
> >> (the original source contributed to Apache).
> >>
> >> All's good now. Yes, did notice few extra folders but fixing that may be
> >> low priority.
> >>

> > The extra folders will be a blocker because two of them contain external
> > jars
> >
> >  - caches (contains dependency jar & class files)
> >  - daemon
> >  - native
>
> This is just the way the release tarball gets created, right? Since I don't
> seem to notice these jars when I checkout develop branch.
>
> >  - wrapper (contains gradle jar files)
>
> On that later note, I can recommend an approach that seems to have worked
> for PXF subproject of HAWQ:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAWQ-277

Also SAMZA/KAFKA, but I haven't compared:

     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SAMZA-283

Niall

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Yep.  We can exclude those dirs from the source distribution if needed.

Great!

> Are we using Jenkins to create the release build?

That's actually up to you guys. It is totally possible for a RM to just
create it by hand and checkin into the staging SVN.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Source distribution

I wonder if we’re looking at different things??

When I download the night-build tarball at [1], I only found one Pivotal copyright:

Anthony-Baker-MacBook-Pro:tmp abaker$ tar xf ~/Downloads/apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.tar && grep -r Pivotal apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT | grep -i copy
apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT/gemfire-core/src/test/java/com/gemstone/gemfire/internal/cache/tier/sockets/InstantiatorPropagationDUnitTest.java: * Copyright (c) 2010-2014 Pivotal Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

In addition, I didn’t see gemfire-jgroups at all:

Anthony-Baker-MacBook-Pro:tmp abaker$ tar xf ~/Downloads/apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.tar && find apache-geode-src-1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT -name "gemfire-jgroups"

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Re: Source distribution

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.