Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christopher Oliver <re...@verizon.net> on 2004/03/08 03:59:22 UTC

[VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted on
cocoondev.org
(http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it would
not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and Websphere,
because each contains its own forked or old version of Rhino which is
exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.

Here is my +1.

--
Chris

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by roy huang <li...@hotmail.com>.
For reality work consideration +1
Roy Huang

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 03:32:44PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Maybe we could rename it into "Cocoon Scripting Engine" while we are at
> it - as this seems to be a common usage pattern. ;-)

Now you made me LOL :)

--Tim Larson

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 08 Mar 2004, at 11:16, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Very good point. It cannot be the ASF, and cocoondev.org isn't a legal
> entity that can hold a copyright. Considering that rhino+cont's single
> author is Chris, he could be the copyright holder, but community-wise
> this doesn't sound good.
>
> And in the same area, what will be (or can be) its license? Is it
> possible to relicense the fork or should we keep MPL?

IIRC, MPL 1.0 is tainted - 1.1 is not. And Rhino consists of source
code with a variety of license headers attached: a legal mess IMO.
Maybe we should ask for a to-be-forked donation from Mozilla to get a
"legally stable" snapshot to work upon.

My personal problem though is that I have a bit of an ethical issue
asking for a (donation) favor from an open source community, knowing
that we won't properly community-shepherd their code anyhow -
preferring our own fork for obvious reasons.

> Anyway, I'm +1 for the renaming, which, since the fork does exist,
> will make it clear and visible, along with solving the technical
> problems in WS and WL.

Maybe we could rename it into "Cocoon Scripting Engine" while we are at
it - as this seems to be a common usage pattern. ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 08 Mar 2004, at 03:59, Christopher Oliver wrote:
>
>> In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
>> Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
>> propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
>> org.cocoondev.
>

> Who will be the copyright holder?

Very good point. It cannot be the ASF, and cocoondev.org isn't a legal
entity that can hold a copyright. Considering that rhino+cont's single
author is Chris, he could be the copyright holder, but community-wise
this doesn't sound good.

And in the same area, what will be (or can be) its license? Is it
possible to relicense the fork or should we keep MPL?

Anyway, I'm +1 for the renaming, which, since the fork does exist, will
make it clear and visible, along with solving the technical problems in
WS and WL.

Sylvain

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 08 Mar 2004, at 23:09, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> unless donated by the well-known friendly-neightbor-organization
>> directly, that is.
>

> I took the plunge and started talking. See my other mail.

Thanks for doing this Steven, it is truely appreciated from my part.

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> On 08 Mar 2004, at 23:09, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> unless donated by the well-known friendly-neightbor-organization
>>> directly, that is.
>>

>> I took the plunge and started talking. See my other mail.
>>
>> </Steven>
>

> Hopefully that will lead to something productive. However, it still
> won't solve the Websphere/Weblogic issue.
>
> Assuming that sooner or later continuations are added to standard
> Rhino (whether it moves to Apache or not), to ensure that the proper
> version is used by Cocoon we would need to refactor the flow and woody
> /forms and jxtemplate components to use an isolated version of Rhino
> that is loaded by its own class loader (that means all references to
> org.mozilla.javscript.* will need to be removed from Cocoon code and
> the corresponding functionality encapsulated with interfaces that
> delegate to the isolated version of Rhino).
>
> So, somewhat ironically, having a forked version of Rhino actually
> makes solving the Websphere/Weblogic problem much easier (we can
> simply rename the packages).

Just curious: what is Rhino used for in WL and WS? Is it used in the
application space, or in the container space. In other words, can using
the ParanoidCocoonServlet solve the problem?

Sylvain

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Christopher Oliver <re...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Stephan Michels wrote:

>Am Mo, den 08.03.2004 schrieb Steven Noels um 10:11:
>

>>On 08 Mar 2004, at 09:39, Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>

>>>IIRC the argumentation was that Cocoon is about web publishing and web
>>>applications and not about programming language interpreters. So it
>>>should find a different place.
>>>

>>Exactly.
>>
>>And a forked version of a well-known open source project of a
>>friendly-neighbor-organization is very unlikely to be a welcome
>>addition to the ASF stable.
>>

>Is there no way to get the changes into the original rhino codebase?
>Has nobody comitter access?
>
>Forking is very bad thing, IMHO.

I think the question is "Who wants to do it?" IIRC the Rhino people
accept the continuation extensions.

--
Reinhard

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.
Am Mo, den 08.03.2004 schrieb Steven Noels um 10:11:
> On 08 Mar 2004, at 09:39, Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
> > IIRC the argumentation was that Cocoon is about web publishing and web
> > applications and not about programming language interpreters. So it
> > should find a different place.
>
> Exactly.
>
> And a forked version of a well-known open source project of a
> friendly-neighbor-organization is very unlikely to be a welcome
> addition to the ASF stable.

Is there no way to get the changes into the original rhino codebase?
Has nobody comitter access?

Forking is very bad thing, IMHO.

Stephan.

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Steven Noels dijo:

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 08.03.2004 03:59, Christopher Oliver wrote:

> In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
> Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
> propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
> org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted on
> cocoondev.org
> (http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
> The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
> rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
> Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
> codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it would
> not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and Websphere,
> because each contains its own forked or old version of Rhino which is
> exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.
>
> Here is my +1.

Though I absolutely don't like it I see we nearly have no other choice
(besides paying Chris more than his employer or doing his work at the
company he works for ;-) ).

+0

Joerg

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
> Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
> propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
> org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted
> on cocoondev.org
> (http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
> The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
> rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
> Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
> codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it
> would not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and
> Websphere, because each contains its own forked or old version of
> Rhino which is exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.

+1. There is chance we deploy on WebSphere soon...

Vadim

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
> Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
> propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
> org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted on
> cocoondev.org
> (http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
> The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
> rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
> Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
> codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it would
> not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and Websphere,
> because each contains its own forked or old version of Rhino which is
> exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.
>
> Here is my +1.

+1

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Sorry, but, I am still -0. :-(

We are all open to better solutions, Antonio, but I personally see none.
  It's not easy matter and forking is a painful thing, but we *must* do
something.

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears. Keep in mind that along with
the idea there must be committment to make it happen.

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Ugo Cei dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> This mean another "official" forking of the Rhino engine. That also mean
>> users of BEA and IBM AS will have 2 flowscript engine there, right? The
>> current deployed with org.mozilla.* and our one org.cocoondev.*
>>
>> This can be easily traduced in more memory usage, etc. Is this correct?
>>
>> Currently, I am -0 because of these concerns.
>
> If I understand correctly, without this change, Weblogic and Websphere
> users won't be able to use continuations at all (and maybe even
> flowscript), so the point about more memory usage sounds moot, doesn't it?

The memory is just 1 issue and is not the main point. See the "etc" behind
it.

The point is about performance. AFAIK, in a multi-thread AS a 1 ms can
make a diference, is n't? The other think is what other packages BEA and
IBM forked? Will we need to add another forking to support them? Things
are not clear to me.

BTW, I don't use any of them and after this issue I think it will be hard
I start to using them. I know it is not important if I use them or not. It
is not the point. Fortunately, there are other options, ie: JBoss, right?
;-)

> Besides, if you're running either WL or WS and you're paying either the
> license fees or the army of consultants that it takes to run them
> properly, you wouldn't mind a few bucks for a couple extra RAM modules
> ;-).

It is true the cheap memory can save many asses here. But to me this also
sound an alarm: It is worth to use them at all?

> Ah, by the way, I'm +1 on what Christopher suggested.

Sorry, but, I am still -0. :-(

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> This mean another "official" forking of the Rhino engine. That also mean
> users of BEA and IBM AS will have 2 flowscript engine there, right? The
> current deployed with org.mozilla.* and our one org.cocoondev.*
>
> This can be easily traduced in more memory usage, etc. Is this correct?
>
> Currently, I am -0 because of these concerns.

If I understand correctly, without this change, Weblogic and Websphere
users won't be able to use continuations at all (and maybe even
flowscript), so the point about more memory usage sounds moot, doesn't it?

Besides, if you're running either WL or WS and you're paying either the
license fees or the army of consultants that it takes to run them
properly, you wouldn't mind a few bucks for a couple extra RAM modules ;-).

Ah, by the way, I'm +1 on what Christopher suggested.

	Ugo

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Reinhard:
>
>I understand the POV. On the one hand the need to allow BEA and IBM use
>Flow. I think it is great! And I am +1 here.
>
>On the other side, I don't like the forking idea (as I don't liked it in
>jisp). I know we currently use a forked version, but giving it a
>"official" status is what I don't like. Here I am totally "-1".

I see your point and if we had designed it on the whiteboard it would be
different. But that's life ;-)

>As a fair consesus, I choosed to vote -0 on this. It will not block the
>change, but I simply don't like the solution. I am not voting a full "-1".
>It is just "-0". I hope it show my POV. :-D
>
>If you wish, you can ignore my -0, anyway it will not block nothing at all.

Thanks Antonio.

--
Reinhard

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Christopher Oliver dijo:
>

>>In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
>>Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
>>propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
>>org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted on
>>cocoondev.org
>>(http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
>>The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
>>rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
>>Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
>>codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it would
>>not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and Websphere,
>>because each contains its own forked or old version of Rhino which is
>>exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.
>>
>>Here is my +1.
>>

>Hi Christopher:
>
>This mean another "official" forking of the Rhino engine.

We *use* a forked version and we agreed on this. Suppose that someone
merges Chris' extensions back into core Rhino. Even this wouldn't solve
the namespace problems because believe me, it will take some time until
IBM, BEA, ... will use the latest version of Rhino.

>That also mean
>users of BEA and IBM AS will have 2 flowscript engine there, right?

Yes

>The
>current deployed with org.mozilla.* and our one org.cocoondev.*
>

>This can be easily traduced in more memory usage, etc. Is this correct?

could be but ATM they *can't* use Flowscript at all because you have two
versions of Rhino which are within the same namespace.

--
Reinhard

Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Christopher Oliver dijo:
> In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
> Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
> propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
> org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted on
> cocoondev.org
> (http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
> The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
> rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
> Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
> codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it would
> not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and Websphere,
> because each contains its own forked or old version of Rhino which is
> exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.
>
> Here is my +1.

Hi Christopher:

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> In order to allow the use of Flowscript on the BEA Weblogic and IBM
> Websphere application servers (and possibly in other environments) I
> propose that we rename the Rhino packages from org.mozilla to
> org.cocoondev. The Rhino codebase used in Cocoon is currently hosted
> on cocoondev.org
> (http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rhino1_5R4pre/?cvsroot=rhino).
> The standard Rhino core in the mozilla.org CVS has been completely
> rewritten since I added the interpreter that supports continuations.
> Therefore it is impossible to move support for continuations to that
> codebase in the short term. However, even if that were possible it
> would not solve the problem of using Flowscript on Weblogic and
> Websphere, because each contains its own forked or old version of
> Rhino which is exposed to the class loader used by Cocoon.
>
> Here is my +1.

+1

--
Reinhard