Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/04/02 21:30:55 UTC

Sub Project Minimum Doc Guidelines

I think we should have the following guildelines for all of our
projects:

* JavaDocs existing and linked to from the project documentation
* JUnit test results from last release if they exist should be linked to
* Download should map to:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/${project}/lates
t/

That way the user is sent directly to the latest release available.

* Optional: diagram docs.  They are useful, but unless we have a way to
     generate them from the code, we shouldn't include them.
* Features document listing what is there--unless there are
sub-sub-projects.
  The sub-sub-projects are the features of the sub-projects.
  - In Excalibur/Apps each sub-sub-project (aka datasources, ftp-server)
    are the features.
  - Each sub-sub-project should have a list of features that describe
it.

Let me congratulate Paul on his great work, and see if this can help
all of us out more.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Sub Project Minimum Doc Guidelines

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter, Berin,

Agree.... but ...

>+1
>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 05:30, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>I think we should have the following guildelines for all of our
>>projects:
>>
>>* JavaDocs existing and linked to from the project documentation
>>* JUnit test results from last release if they exist should be linked to
>>* Download should map to:
>>
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/${project}/lates
>>t/

I think we need to have subdirs inside release/ and nightly/

>>That way the user is sent directly to the latest release available.
>>
>>* Optional: diagram docs.  They are useful, but unless we have a way to
>>     generate them from the code, we shouldn't include them.

I have contacted the author of the Doxygen Ant Target and will be
helping him make it better on SF.
Doxygen will allow us to reverse engineer class diags from source.
Alternatively see my crap alternative : http://clad.sourceforge.net/

>>* Features document listing what is there--unless there are
>>sub-sub-projects.
>>  The sub-sub-projects are the features of the sub-projects.
>>  - In Excalibur/Apps each sub-sub-project (aka datasources, ftp-server)
>>    are the features.
>>  - Each sub-sub-project should have a list of features that describe
>>it.
>>
>>Let me congratulate Paul on his great work, and see if this can help
>>all of us out more.

Ahh, man a couple of color changes make the illusion of much work ;-)

- Paul

Re: Sub Project Minimum Doc Guidelines

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the
 point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
 The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
        -- George Bernard Shaw