Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/24 18:50:40 UTC

letsencrypt integration?

Currently I am using httpd to handle SSL (because my certs are generated
via LE) with all content being passed off to Tomcat 7 (investigating 8.5
upgrade).

I had a poke around on the archives and found mention of a talk on it in a
conference in Miami.

http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/Dynamic-reloading-of-SSL-certificates-tt5059619.html#a5059673

Did this happen? I looked in the Tomcat youtube channel and found a handful
of videos from there, but nothing on LE. Is it something that is still in
the "we'd like to find time to do it, but don't know who or when" phase, or
something that is being worked on for Tomcat 9?

Re: letsencrypt integration?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Chris,

On 8/24/17 5:14 PM, Chris Cheshire wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>> Chris,
>>
>> On 8/24/17 4:03 PM, Chris Cheshire wrote:
>>> Cheers :)

>> There are two items here:
>>
>> 1. Can Tomcat be configured and scripted for LE (pretty easy) 2.
>> Tomcat can (with caveats) reload the certificate store
>>
>> I have not made any progress on #2. The Tomcat/LE presentation in
>> the above link mentions we'll be trying to implement seamless
>> reloading, but it's not done, yet. The presentation shows you how
>> to reload it in a potentially disruptive way (because the
>> connector is stopped and re-started, killing any in-flight
>> requests).
>>
>> So it's not great, but it IS possible.
>>
>> - -chris
>

> Just finished listening to your audio and following the slides.
> Thank you for making these available.
>
> Tomcat 9.0 supports .pem files, correct? What about 8.5? (I am
> still using 7 and working on upgrading).

Both 8.5 and 9.0 support using PEM files.

> With this support, does this mean we would just reference the
> files certbot produces without repackaging them into a JKS?
Yes, but the connector will still need to be bounced, of course.

- -chris

Re: letsencrypt integration?

Posted by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> On 8/24/17 4:03 PM, Chris Cheshire wrote:
> > Cheers :)
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> >> certificates-tt5059619.html#a5059673

> >> handful
> >> or
> >>
> >> We only had video for the final day in Miami. But we have audio
> >> for the others.
> >>
> >> http://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html
>
> There are two items here:
>
> 1. Can Tomcat be configured and scripted for LE (pretty easy)
> 2. Tomcat can (with caveats) reload the certificate store
>
> I have not made any progress on #2. The Tomcat/LE presentation in the
> above link mentions we'll be trying to implement seamless reloading,
> but it's not done, yet. The presentation shows you how to reload it in
> a potentially disruptive way (because the connector is stopped and
> re-started, killing any in-flight requests).
>
> So it's not great, but it IS possible.
>
> - -chris

Just finished listening to your audio and following the slides. Thank
you for making these available.

Tomcat 9.0 supports .pem files, correct? What about 8.5? (I am still
using 7 and working on upgrading). With this support, does this mean
we would just reference the files certbot produces without repackaging
them into a JKS?

Chris

Re: letsencrypt integration?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com>.
Cheers :)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.
Hi,

we have made a Docker image that configures Tomcat with LE certs:
https://hub.docker.com/r/atomgraph/letsencrypt-tomcat/

It hasn't been tested in production though.

Martynas
atomgraph.com