Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com> on 2004/06/20 16:10:09 UTC

Possible idea on repository-wide defaults

I've been thinking a little about how to go about handling repository-wide
defaults (mostly because of how they relate to the keywords patch).  Would it be
appropriate to consider any repository-wide default like:

	keywords,
	.subversion/config stanzas
	autoprop
	global ignores
	etc.

as very much like properties of the repository itself?  Consequently, the
existing property code could be used to retrieve this information from the
server, via an otherwise inaccessible path.  Something like a path which the
user is not able to type in directly, but which the clientcode could construct.

Is this too hacky a solution?  It would seem to be worthwhile pursuing this,
since it wouldn't be a problem for compatibility (an older client wouldn't ask
and a newer client vs an older repository could just fail gracefully if the path
didn't exist).

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Possible idea on repository-wide defaults

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 13:00, John Peacock wrote:
> Greg Hudson wrote:
> > First of all, never ever ever ever think of .subversion/config stanzas
> > en masse as coming from the repository.  We have some dangerous
> > preferences in there like the diff command, which should only ever be
> > configured by the client for security reasons.
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that /all/ of the config stanzas could be
> overloaded from the server.  I merely meant that the site administrator might
> want to create /some/ default stanzas (I know that there have been specific
> requests for ignores and autoprops in the past).

Okay.  I think it's best to think of these feature improvements as
"moving auto-props from the config file to properties" and "enhancing
ignores using property inheritance or something similar".

> Good point.  That would make these possibly properties of the containing
> directory instead, which leads us back to inheritance of properties again, since
> we shouldn't force each subdirectory to contain project-wide props.  Hmmm...

Right.  Perhaps auto-props could act as a poor man's property
inheritance, if we fixed where it lives.

Re: Possible idea on repository-wide defaults

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.