Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> on 2004/12/16 04:11:22 UTC

Native Build Dependancies

Currently Gump is reporting that 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-configure' is
failing, but this is really because 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-buildconf' is
failing (but not with a status code, so Gump has no way of knowing this).
The reason is that the buildconf.sh script depends on automake being
installed.  As I see it, there are three options:

1) Have some nice person install automake someplace where it will be in the
$PATH when Gump runs.
2) Have some nice person install automake as an installed package, modify
the metadata  to <depend> on it, and modify the Gump code for <script> to
place the <depend>s in the $PATH.  This is like $CLASSPATH for <ant>.
3) Kill off jakarta-tomcat-jk-native*.  Since mod_jk isn't really being
developed for httpd/2.1.x, this isn't as drastic as it sounds.

Any thoughts?

Re: Native Build Dependancies

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> Stefano, could you please apt-get install automake?
>
> done, installed automake and updated autoconf.
>
> autoconf    2.59a-2
> automake    1.4-p6-8

Great, jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-buildconf/configure passed on the
currently active Kaffe build.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: Native Build Dependancies

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stefano.

Re: Native Build Dependancies

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> Currently Gump is reporting that
> 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-configure' is failing, but this is really
> because 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-buildconf' is failing (but not
> with a status code, so Gump has no way of knowing this).

OK, on second read I understand that.  You buildconf script simply
returns 0 so Gump thinks everything is fine.

> The reason is that the buildconf.sh script depends on automake being
> installed.

I've just looked over the buildconf scripts of APR, they only seem to
run autoconf and autoheader, so they must be installed on brutus.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> Currently Gump is reporting that
> 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-configure' is failing, but this is really
> because 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-buildconf' is failing (but not
> with a status code, so Gump has no way of knowing this).

OK, something I'll need to look into.

> The reason is that the buildconf.sh script depends on automake being
> installed.

Don't the buildconf scripts for APR and HTTPd require this as well?

> As I see it, there are three options:
>
> 1) Have some nice person install automake someplace where it will be
> in the $PATH when Gump runs.

+1 for now since we also rely on autoconf and make - and sh to be
+there.

Stefan

Re: Native Build Dependancies

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> Currently Gump is reporting that 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-configure' is
> failing, but this is really because 'jakarta-tomcat-jk-native-buildconf' is
> failing (but not with a status code, so Gump has no way of knowing this).
> The reason is that the buildconf.sh script depends on automake being
> installed.  As I see it, there are three options:
>
> 1) Have some nice person install automake someplace where it will be in the
> $PATH when Gump runs.
> 2) Have some nice person install automake as an installed package, modify
> the metadata  to <depend> on it, and modify the Gump code for <script> to
> place the <depend>s in the $PATH.  This is like $CLASSPATH for <ant>.
> 3) Kill off jakarta-tomcat-jk-native*.  Since mod_jk isn't really being
> developed for httpd/2.1.x, this isn't as drastic as it sounds.

the preferred "gumpy way" would be #2, but I could stick for both #1 and
#2 either way.

i can do #1 in a second, I might need a little help for #2... also the
question is: once we start with these native dependencies how far off
should we go? OS? ;-)

--
Stefano.