Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Richard Chen <ch...@snet.net> on 2000/11/07 22:50:16 UTC

problem installing multiple versions of modperl

Hi,
	I already have an older version of modperl installed
in the standard location. I would like to try out the
newer version of apache/modperl without disturbing those
in production. So I did this:

/export/home/chenri/mod_perl-1.24_01$ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/export/home/chenri EVERYTHING=1  USE_APACI=1  DO_HTTPD=1 APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.14/src APACI_ARGS="--prefix=/export/home/chenri/apache,--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a,--enable-module=info,--enable-module=headers,--enable-module=rewrite"

/export/home/chenri/mod_perl-1.24_01$ make
/export/home/chenri/mod_perl-1.24_01$ make test

That is fine. However, when I do 'make install', make detects
that I already have an older version of modperl and tried to
rm them:

## Differing version of auto/Apache/include/regex/regex2.h found. You might like to
rm /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/Apache/include/regex/regex2.h
## Running 'make install UNINST=1' will unlink all those files for you.
*** Error code 13
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `pure_site_install'

Have you encountered this and how to get around it?

Thanks for any info.

Richard

Re: problem installing multiple versions of modperl

Posted by Richard Chen <ch...@snet.net>.
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 01:58:41AM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Richard Chen wrote:
>
> > when I do 'make install', make detects that I already have an older
> > version of modperl and tried to rm them:
>
> Don't use it then!  Install the files where you want them manually.
> Make yourself familiar with an ordinary layout before you try to
> set up a complex one.  Make sure that the several Apaches aren't
> going to conflict by trying to share files they shouldn't share.
>
> It's in the Guide.
>
> 73,
> Ged.

I read the guide before I posted :-)

Well, it only happens on solaris. On linux, the same procedure
goes through without a hitch. From the linux output I actually
find the correct next command to use on solaris:
	(cd ../apache_1.3.14 && make install)

That worked like a charm on solaris too and built both apache and modperl
successfully in my home dir.

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,