Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2006/04/27 14:18:24 UTC

Batik site and logo

I think that, despite Francis' blunt assertions on svg-dev, the Batik
site does need a bit of an overhaul.  Several pages of it have out of
date information, some is missing (the supported elements/attributes
page), and it's looking a bit tired.  I don't know if I'd want to go to
the trouble of moving to a whole Forrest setup, but I wouldn't mind
having a shot at a different "skin" to use with the current site build.

More importantly, however, is that I think it's time for a new logo!
FOP's current logo is quite beautiful, and it'd be great to have
something as nice as that to go along with a new site design.
Unfortunately I'm hardly artistic, though sometimes I can knock up
OK-ish looking things in SVG.

I found a mail from six years ago in the archive[1] from Thomas about
ideas for a new logo.  Did this go anywhere?

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-batik-dev/200011.mbox/%3C14866.59418.791221.596231@gargle.gargle.HOWL%3E

--
 Cameron McCormack			ICQ: 26955922
 cam (at) mcc.id.au			MSN: cam (at) mcc.id.au

Re: Batik site and logo

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Please note that it is probably less work to migrate to Forrest than you
think. Forrest can, AFAIK, read and process the source XML files used by
stylebook. Clay Leeds or I could help you set up the basics for Forrest.
Still, updating the actual content will take some work from the Batik
community. :-)

On 27.04.2006 14:18:24 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> I think that, despite Francis' blunt assertions on svg-dev, the Batik
> site does need a bit of an overhaul.  Several pages of it have out of
> date information, some is missing (the supported elements/attributes
> page), and it's looking a bit tired.  I don't know if I'd want to go to
> the trouble of moving to a whole Forrest setup, but I wouldn't mind
> having a shot at a different "skin" to use with the current site build.
>
> More importantly, however, is that I think it's time for a new logo!
> FOP's current logo is quite beautiful, and it'd be great to have
> something as nice as that to go along with a new site design.
> Unfortunately I'm hardly artistic, though sometimes I can knock up
> OK-ish looking things in SVG.
>
> I found a mail from six years ago in the archive[1] from Thomas about
> ideas for a new logo.  Did this go anywhere?
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-batik-dev/200011.mbox/%3C14866.59418.791221.596231@gargle.gargle.HOWL%3E

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Batik site and logo

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I prefer the second one although the art of Batik is something very
colorful, normally. I love the way that the second logo hints at the
actual Batik art but if it could be made more colorful, maybe while
maintaining the ASF feather's original colors, that would make it real
cool. Too bad I'm not much of an artist.

On 09.05.2006 02:50:04 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Cameron McCormack:
> > More importantly, however, is that I think it's time for a new logo!
>
> AndyFitz has knocked up a couple of basic designs for a logo.  The
> first, the word "BATIK" with a feather as the "I":
>
>   http://mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logo1.svg
>
> I tried also using the purple/red/yellow Apache feather, but it doesn't
> look as clean.
>
> And a second one, a patch that is meant to look like some (stylised)
> Batik with a feather, and the word "BATIK" below it:
>
>   http://mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logo2.svg
>
> Personally I prefer the latter design, Andy prefers the first.  Any
> opinions?  These aren't finished logos, just designs; they can be
> tweaked to get them looking nicer, later.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Batik site and logo

Posted by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>.
sorry, sent the mail too early (was distracted) - here is the finished
sentence:

> I agree that the feather in the second logo could/should be more
> salient. Maybe the patches in the background could be filled with
> light (pastell) colors and the feather

could have a more saturated color like in the first version of the logo.

> I am not a big fan of serif fonts, though. I prefer sans-serif fonts.
> But thats just a personal opinion. Maybe one could get the original
> sodipodi file where the font isn't converted to paths to give the
> people the opportunity to play around with the logo?
>
> Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/

Re: Batik site and logo

Posted by Andreas Neumann <ne...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>.
>   I fairly strongly prefer the second one, however I agree that it
>is a bit more muted than I would like to see (It's very "Corporate").
>

>   I made the feather in the second logo the same color as the first
>and I like it a lot more. The only problem is that you need a little
>more of something to bring the Batik text's visibility.

I agree that the feather in the second logo could/should be more
salient. Maybe the patches in the background could be filled with light
(pastell) colours and the feather

I am not a big fan of serif fonts, though. I prefer sans-serif fonts.
But thats just a personal opinion. Maybe one could get the original
sodipodi file where the font isn't converted to paths to give the people
the opportunity to play around with the logo?

Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/

Re: Batik site and logo

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi all,

> On May 8, 2006, at 5:50 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> > AndyFitz has knocked up a couple of basic designs for a logo.

> >   http://mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logo1.svg
> >   http://mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logo2.svg
> >
> > Personally I prefer the latter design, Andy prefers the first.

Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com> wrote on 05/08/2006 09:15:48
PM:

> The first one screams at me. I prefer it over the other one. The
> latter is more muted.

   I fairly strongly prefer the second one, however I agree that it
is a bit more muted than I would like to see (It's very "Corporate").

   I made the feather in the second logo the same color as the first
and I like it a lot more. The only problem is that you need a little
more of something to bring the Batik text's visibility.

   I like the use of space in the second logo, especially the balance
of the text with the box.

Re: Batik site and logo

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com>.
On May 8, 2006, at 5:50 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Cameron McCormack:
>> More importantly, however, is that I think it's time for a new logo!
>
> AndyFitz has knocked up a couple of basic designs for a logo.  The
> first, the word "BATIK" with a feather as the "I":
>
>   http://mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logo1.svg
>
> I tried also using the purple/red/yellow Apache feather, but it
> doesn't
> look as clean.
>
> And a second one, a patch that is meant to look like some (stylised)
> Batik with a feather, and the word "BATIK" below it:
>
>   http://mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logo2.svg
>
> Personally I prefer the latter design, Andy prefers the first.  Any
> opinions?  These aren't finished logos, just designs; they can be
> tweaked to get them looking nicer, later.

The first one screams at me. I prefer it over the other one. The
latter is more muted.

Web Maestro Clay
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet