Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de> on 2009/09/10 10:38:44 UTC

Website concept

Hello,
I have made a quick and dirty analysis of the website, defining roles of
new and existing users, specifying the needs of those groups and
validating if the current website fullfills these needs.
 From there on, I have developed a new information concept.

Please, see this as discussion proposal and please keep in mind, that I
haven't proof read this many times. I would appreciate your comments,
especially have a look if I have overlooked something in the user
modelling or requirement analysis and of course in the information concept.

I will set up a page, showing how a possible page could look like.

There is a task list which needs to be validated as it might be
incomplete, wrong or conflict with infrastructure limitations we have.

I attached the analysis as OpenOffice Document and PDF.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de

Re: Website concept

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Sebastian, first of all thanks for your work.

I believe that something should be made more clear is that T4 is dead.
At the beginning of my T4 usage I was convinced T5 was a fork but T4
would have been still evolving.

Michael Gerzabek ha scritto:
> Sebastian Hennebrueder schrieb:
>> I setup a quick web page to visualize the information groups and
>> pointers
>> http://www.laliluna.de/tapestry/tapestry.html
> Very nice. A lot of time on your side :)
>>
>> It uses the current design but just edit jquery accordion
>> functionality and related css.
>>
>> The purpose of this is to show the structure. Colors are not aligned
>> between Accordion and logo, the CSS of the information boxes is
>> minimal and not made for webkit based browsers(Chrome and Safari).
>> The existing styles are not aligned with the new styles.
>> I changed the existing font size for the menu and made it slightly
>> bigger.
>>
>> What do you think?
> As you mentioned in your OpenOffice document. Make T5.1 most
> prominent. So when offering the downloads just offer a link the latest
> version. Then in a smaller font or maybe not so splendig color offer
> "older versions". Maybe this is also an invisible sign for everyone
> using older versions to get ready for the bleeding edge.
>
> There is still a lot of information - kind a overwhelming - in the
> boxes at the bottom.
>>
>> Is it technical possible to do something like this?
> Not a pro here.
>
> Michael

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: Website concept - branch wanted

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.

Michael Gerzabek schrieb:

>> What do you think?
> As you mentioned in your OpenOffice document. Make T5.1 most prominent.
> So when offering the downloads just offer a link the latest version.
> Then in a smaller font or maybe not so splendig color offer "older
> versions". Maybe this is also an invisible sign for everyone using older
> versions to get ready for the bleeding edge.
>
> There is still a lot of information - kind a overwhelming - in the boxes
> at the bottom.
What about 3 boxes
1) for the newbee with less technical interest (Getting a first impression)
2) for the newbee with technical interest (Getting starting)
3) one for existing developers (news and updates)

>> Is it technical possible to do something like this?
> Not a pro here.

I checked out the current doc. It is maven build with Doxia. I have
never worked with it before but it is actually pretty cool.
I can modify the site template to render the menu appropiately in order
that JQuery can make it an accordion. Css have only to be fixed adjusted.

If Howard agrees, he could set up a branch in order that I can work on this.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Re: Website concept

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.

Re: Website concept

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Michael Gerzabek schrieb:
> Ulrich Stärk schrieb:
>> http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/guide/request.html
> GREAT! Thanks for that.
>>
>> BTW: http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/guide/rendering.html
>> is still not working. (see
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-813)
> Interesting, because
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5.1/guide/rendering.html
> is working.
You are hit by the problem, I described in the analysis. Existing users
need to update their bookmarks regularly.

Re: Website concept

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.

Re: Website concept

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Re: Website concept

Posted by ice <fr...@gmail.com>.

Agree to all of that. Fantastic analysis Sebastian.

The whole documentation should revolve around Tapestry 5.x, and make it
clear, an easy snapshot of what the framework looks like. Then more detailed
information on demand.

Re: Website concept

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.

Re: Website concept - Missing PDF - Third try

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Sebastian Hennebrueder schrieb:
> Here is the missing PDF

The PDF gets stripped. You can download it here:

http://www.laliluna.de/tapestry/tapestry-analysis.pdf

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Here is the missing PDF

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Re: Website concept

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <P....@albourne.com>.
Sebastian, I applaud your effort, you have made some positive suggestions, I hope something will come of them.

regards,
Peter