Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/06/21 04:29:30 UTC

[kerberos] How to configure? (Re: is a org.apache.ldap.server.configuration.Configuration required in every JNDI connection?)

Hi Mark,

Please try to maintain nettiquette by using a prefix and a descriptive
email subject.  That way the proper people can address your concerns
rapidly.  Also you tacked on your questions to an existing email
thread.  People may ignore it if its in a thread they are not interested
in.  Coming out and saying it's regarding the Kerberos server may
trigger people to respond.

I understand though that your problem was related to configuration.
Just trying to give pointers on how you can get the best response
quickest.  Please don't take this personally or as a hazing its just the
way we do things here - I would recommend this to anyone :-).

Mark Wilcox wrote:

>Is there a Wiki page or URL  (or a simple mail message :)) -- to show
>how to enable the Kerberos service provider? I want to minimic a dual
>KDC setup (this is common in Active Directory implementations in
>higher ed where you have one AD tree for students and another for
>staff). ApacheDS seems to be the simplest approach.

You can turn it on in 0.9 using Kerberos specific properties using
EnvKeys.ENABLE_KERBEROS set to true or on.  This will start the embedded
Kerberos server.  Other properties also exist for configuring the KDC.
These properties are found in the KdcConfiguration.  Perhaps Enrique has
a wiki page out there on this stuff where these properties documented.

For now look at KdcConfiguration for 0.9.  It extracts properties from
the environment given to it in the constructor if you look here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/directory/shared/kerberos/trunk/common/src/java/org/apache/kerberos/service/KdcConfiguration.java?rev=168482&view=markup

The JNDI provider in the main of apacheds gives these properties to the
KdcConfiguration and uses that to start the KDC's protocol provider and
register it with MINA.

>But I can't seem to find any docs on how to actually enable the
>Kerberos service provider.

Sorry about that.  We should have the docs out there soon.

>I'm using the .9 release of ApacheDS.

Alex

Re: [kerberos] How to configure? (Re: is a org.apache.ldap.server.configuration.Configuration required in every JNDI connection?)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Mark Wilcox wrote:

>Alex,
>My apologies to f'ing up the subject line :). I'm still getting used
>to Gmail - I swore I updated that subject..

No problem at all.  Just want you and others asking the same question to
be able to get anwers or to dig them up again in an archive.

Thanks,

Posted by Mark Wilcox <ma...@gmail.com>.
Alex,
My apologies to f'ing up the subject line :). I'm still getting used
to Gmail - I swore I updated that subject..

Thanks for the reply.

mark