Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Rick Tyler <ri...@ticketweb.com> on 2000/02/17 23:24:11 UTC

XSP/XSL problem w/ < > and "

I am using XSP to generate an XML fragment as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="test.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xsp"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
<xsp:page language="java"
xmlns:xsp="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core">
  <page>
    <text>      <!-- sends output to browser as plain text -->
      <xsp:logic>
        <xsp:content>
          <xsp:expr><![CDATA["<foo>bar</foo>"]]></xsp:expr>
        </xsp:content>
      </xsp:logic>
   </text>
  </page>
</xsp:page>

When I view the resulting output in my browser's SOURCE viewer,
I see this:

	&lt;foo&gt;bar&lt/foo&;gt

when I really want to see this:

	<foo>bar</foo>

My goal is for Cocoon to apply XSL transformations to
XML tags generated using XSP.  When I first tried that,
none of my XSP-generated tags seemed to be recognized,
so I enclosed everything in a simple <text/> block
OUTSIDE of the <xsp:logic> block to see what was going
on.  It was only then that I noticed what was happening
to my output.

I am surmising that the translations from "<" to "&lt;"
takes place before the XSL transformations are applied,
which would explain why the XSL engine doesn't recognize
them.

I did see a note in the FAQ about xalan having problems
with &;lt and &gt with the suggested solution of substituting
XT.  I did try that, but see no change in the behavior I
as seeing.

Is there a way around this behavior?

Thanks,

- RT