Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2010/11/18 16:11:57 UTC

Release distribution contents.

It would be good to have a definitive position on this. The VFS build includes the javadoc and source jars in the distribution zip, even though there is a separate source distribution zip (the source distribution is complete while the source jar is only suitable for use by an IDE). I'm close to doing another release attempt and would like to know if I need to change that before I do it.

Ralph

Re: Release distribution contents.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ralph Goers
<ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but I'm still not sure I'll change anything in VFS. I prefer having both the source and binary archives built in the same project. With the change to the Apache pom the source archive is built in the parent and the binary is built in the dist project.

That's still a better approach as it keeps more of the build standard
with other Apache projects.

Re: Release distribution contents.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Thanks, but I'm still not sure I'll change anything in VFS. I prefer having both the source and binary archives built in the same project. With the change to the Apache pom the source archive is built in the parent and the binary is built in the dist project.  As we also discussed, it may be possible to get the assembly plugin to work correctly in Maven 3. If that happens I will gladly remove the dist project and move building the binary distribution to the parent project and let the source distribution be constructed as you describe here.

The real topic of this thread though, is what to include in the binary distribution archive.  I'm planning on including the source and javadoc jar in VFS since it doesn't appear the community wants to set guidelines for all of commons.

Ralph

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Ralph,

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

IMO, it would be even good-er to have a [commons]-wide position on this.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I haven't started a vote yet on VFS.  I thought it would be nice to have a common policy on how to do this for all commons releases.  I'd prefer to leave the javadoc and source jars in the binary distribution so I'm not going to change that unless there is a common policy that says otherwise.

Sorry, the original email that I responded to had stuff in there about
the NET release, which I believe is what started this whole mess.
Sorry for the noise. :)

Re: Release distribution contents.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Jörg Schaible
<jo...@scalaris.com> wrote:

> I don't count any -1, even Oliver voted +1.

There was a -1 from Daniel Savarese, right?

Re: Release distribution contents.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
James Carman wrote:

> A release can't be vetoed anyway. So, you've got one -1 (if I am
> counting correctly).

I don't count any -1, even Oliver voted +1.

> Go ahead and release it if you've got enough
> other folks behind it (minimum of three +1s)

Personally I don't care if these two jars are part of the binary distro, but
I'd prefer a commons solution used by our components.

Nevertheless, for me it's the same as for Phil: No time to test it yet.

- Jörg

Re: Release distribution contents.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
A release can't be vetoed anyway. So, you've got one -1 (if I am
counting correctly).  Go ahead and release it if you've got enough
other folks behind it (minimum of three +1s)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 November 2010 16:09, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> It would be good to have a definitive position on this. The VFS build includes the javadoc and source jars in the distribution zip, even though there is a separate source distribution zip (the source distribution is complete while the source jar is only suitable for use by an IDE). I'm close to doing another release attempt and would like to know if I need to change that before I do it.
>>

> Theres no right/wrong answer here and either way the release is good
> to go. IMO though these jars are useful to people who don't want to
> build from source but do want to see the source/javadocs int their
> IDE. The reason for taking them out AIUI it was *bloat* - but that
> seems a weak reason to me. I doubt anyone will complain about a few
> extra bytes in the binary distro - but some people might be

The reason I removed the source and javadoc jars from NET was because
of a complaint.

BTW, I can see that it might be useful to include the source jar in
the binary for IDEs to use.
But given that the Javadoc is already included, is there any need to
include it again as part of a jar?

Generally the source jar is the smallest, so that might satisfy
everyone - i.e. binary archive would contain:
- N&L etc
- binary jar
- source jar
- javadoc (loose)