Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Sheffer <ji...@blueworld.com> on 2003/02/03 18:07:43 UTC

[users@httpd] several instances of httpd running- is this normal?

I took a look at processes on the machine (MacOSX) and noticed several
instances of httpd running simutaniously.  this isn't right, is it?

Jim

Re: [users@httpd] several instances of httpd running- is this normal?

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.
I am no MAC expert, but on Unixes, Apache spawns a copy of the whole
process for each client that's connected.
In Windows, you'd have threads for the connected clients instead of
processes (much cheaper than spawning a whole process).
So, I think what you have there is right...

--Razvan

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.
I don't think you should reboot to be able to restart the server.
Are you stopping the Apache correctly? It is possible that the apache won't
start just because it is already running, hence the message you got.

--Razvan

Posted by Jim Sheffer <ji...@blueworld.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] applet problem

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
OK, well, by the looks of it, it's not an Apache problem (if this is all). I
only see 301's (you might wanna change that) and 304's (which means that the
browser doesn't need to doenload anything since it has a similiar copy in
cache).

But , I cannot be sure. But the last request points to
/drawingtool/drawtoolr.class where the request before that point to
/drawingtool/drawtool.class . There is a difference in in filename's.

With my limited knowledge of Java I cannot help you much further, but it
doesn't look like a Apache problem. The browser already seems to have what
it is requesting from Apache (the 304's). I think the problem could lie in
your HTML-code.

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.