Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Avner Moshkovitz <av...@lighthauslogic.com> on 2008/09/30 17:40:50 UTC

How to show the "svn diff" output graphically in context of a directory tree

Hi,

Using the "svn diff" command, I generate a log file that shows the local changes between my local files and the repository.

I want to view the local changes in context of the files, similar to graphical Diff programs (such as Meld or WinDiff (see attached figure) ). In other words, I want to super impose the diff file on the set of files, such that I can see the tree structure of the files, navigate through the files and graphically view the changes in the files.

I have tried using kdesvn. kdesvn shows the directory structure and highlights the different files. It has an option to "Diff local changes" but this show only the local differences without the context of the entire file.

 [cid:156550717@30092008-046D]

Thanks,

Avner

________________________________
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. Unauthorized use, reproduction or dissemination of the e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately. [11EABB509DF]

RE: How to show the "svn diff" output graphically in context of a directory tree

Posted by Avner Moshkovitz <av...@lighthauslogic.com>.
Hi,

I have installed the package pysvn.i386 from the Fedora Core 8 repository (and also pysvn-debuginfo.i386) but I can not execute it (I can't find an executable in the name pysvn).

Applying:
find . -name "*pysvn*"
Yields:

./usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pysvn
./usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pysvn/_pysvn.so
./usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pysvn
./usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pysvn/_pysvn.so.debug
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_svnenv.hpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_docs.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_revision.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_path.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_enum_string.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_converters.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_svnenv.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_transaction.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_docs.hpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_callbacks.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_client.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn.hpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_arg_processing.cpp
./usr/src/debug/pysvn-1.5.3/Source/pysvn_version.hpp
./usr/share/doc/pysvn-1.5.3
./usr/share/doc/pysvn-1.5.3/pysvn_prog_ref.html
./usr/share/doc/pysvn-1.5.3/pysvn_prog_ref.js
./usr/share/doc/pysvn-1.5.3/pysvn_prog_guide.html
./usr/share/doc/pysvn-1.5.3/Examples/Client/pysvn_print_doc.py
./usr/share/doc/pysvn-1.5.3/pysvn.html

Can you instruct me on how to install pysvn?

Thanks,
Avner

Posted by Carsten Koch <Ca...@icem.com>.

Posted by Avner Moshkovitz <av...@lighthauslogic.com>.
Hi Carsten,

I am not familiar with Python. My development language is C++.
Would this matter, or I can use the pysvn as a generic svn tool for my C++ development as well?
I guess you have the option to tie a graphical diff program (e.g. kdiff3) to pysvn. Do you know if a similar approach is possible with kdesvn? (i.e. define a graphical diff program to kdesvn)

Thanks,
Avner

Posted by Carsten Koch <Ca...@icem.com>.

Posted by Bogdan Cristea <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday 01 October 2008 11:31:24 Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> Avner Moshkovitz schreef:
> > Hi,
> >

> > Using the “svn diff” command, I generate a log file that shows the local
> > changes between my local files and the repository.
> >
> > I want to view the local changes in context of the files, similar to
> > graphical Diff programs (such as Meld or WinDiff (see attached figure)
> > ). In other words, I want to super impose the diff file on the set of
> > files, such that I can see the tree structure of the files, navigate
> > through the files and graphically view the changes in the files.
> >
> > I have tried using kdesvn. kdesvn shows the directory structure and
> > highlights the different files. It has an option to “Diff local changes”
> > but this show only the local differences without the context of the
> > entire file.
>
> Have a look at Eclipse + Subclipse.
>
> H.

Other solution is to use viewvc, which among other things has a graphical diff
program similar with kdiff

Re: How to show the "svn diff" output graphically in context of a directory tree

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com>.

--
Hendrik Maryns