Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2001/01/10 06:02:57 UTC

Re: small suggestion for classloader docs

> Hi Craig,
>
> I've just been looking through Bootstrap.java and the classloader docs in
> Catalina because I need to do some classloading hacks of my own. Congrats,
> the code is really clear and it's (finally) helped me understand how the
> whole classloader delegation thing works.
>
> Anyway, just a nitpick, but there's a slightly confusing thing: the System
> classloader in the Bootstrap.java doesn't correspond to the "System"
> classloader in the docs - instead it corresponds to the "Common"
classloader
> ... I think it'd be a bit clearer if they were synchronised... :-)

Don't blame Craig, it's my fault actually (I added the new system
classloader).

> Also, maybe it'd be better to get the "build dist" process to extract the
> docs into a directory separate from the src dir? I didn't think of looking
> for them there originally...

Remy

Re: small suggestion for classloader docs

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Geoff Soutter wrote:

> > > Anyway, just a nitpick, but there's a slightly confusing thing: the
> System
> > > classloader in the Bootstrap.java doesn't correspond to the "System"
> > > classloader in the docs - instead it corresponds to the "Common"
> > classloader
> > > ... I think it'd be a bit clearer if they were synchronised... :-)
> >
> > Don't blame Craig, it's my fault actually (I added the new system
> > classloader).
>
> Ah, yes, I forgot Craig is infallible :-).

I wish ....  :-).

The docs definitely need to be more visible, and cleaned up.  Hopefully, there
will be a relatively small number of hard-to-fix bugs in 4.0 that I can focus on
this for a while.

Posted by Geoff Soutter <ge...@whitewolf.com.au>.
> > Anyway, just a nitpick, but there's a slightly confusing thing: the
System
> > classloader in the Bootstrap.java doesn't correspond to the "System"
> > classloader in the docs - instead it corresponds to the "Common"
> classloader
> > ... I think it'd be a bit clearer if they were synchronised... :-)
>
> Don't blame Craig, it's my fault actually (I added the new system
> classloader).

Ah, yes, I forgot Craig is infallible :-). His code is so clean I almost
weep when I read it...

Geoff