Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net> on 2003/10/17 14:22:30 UTC

How are plugins found?

When you reference a particular plugin, how does Maven know where to get it and what version to use?
How do you change your local environment to make use of a specific version of a plugin?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

Re: How are plugins found?

Posted by Norbert Pabiś <np...@e-point.pl>.

Martin Jaeger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think the plugins are searched in the local repo and after this in
> the remote repo...
>
> Could someone tell me how I can use the optional plugins, now. Since they
> are shifted out of the maven core plugins?
> I had no problem to install the NCSS Plugin from sourceforge. But I can't
> get a jar from the jdiff Plugin in the optional plugins.
>
> I tried to check the project out of cvs to build it myself, but that
> didn't created the jar that work (maven jar:jar).
If you download source, you can use plugin:deploy or plugin:install

--
Norbert Pabiś

RE: How are plugins found?

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
> >
> > > From: Howard M. Lewis Ship <hl...@comcast.net>
> > > To: Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
> > > Subject: How are plugins found?
> > > Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:22:30 -0400
> > >
> > > When you reference a particular plugin, how does Maven know where
> > to get it and what version to use?
> How are you referencing it? There are several ways?

Referencing as in: adding a PMD report, or making use of the <ant> jelly tags.

> > > How do you change your local environment to make use of a specific
> > version of a plugin?
> Remove the others is the best way, or specify a dependency on
> the plugin.

It seems like this aspect of Maven is very mysterious; the algorithms/behavior are not documented.

I'd like to see something along the lines of:

"When Maven sees <foo> in your maven.xml, it references the baz plugin, which is downloaded and
installed as necessary. Maven will search for version y ...".

Re: How are plugins found?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Martin Jaeger <mj...@netcetera.ch> wrote on 18/10/2003 12:02:51 AM:

> Hi
>
> I think the plugins are searched in the local repo and after this in
> the remote repo...
Not at all.

Read the FAQ. http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/optional/faq.html

> I had no problem to install the NCSS Plugin from sourceforge. But I
can't
> get a jar from the jdiff Plugin in the optional plugins.
AFAIK, the jdiff plugin is busted.

> I tried to check the project out of cvs to build it myself, but that
> didn't created the jar that work (maven jar:jar).
Plugins are built using maven plugin.

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > From: Howard M. Lewis Ship <hl...@comcast.net>
> > To: Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
> > Subject: How are plugins found?
> > Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:22:30 -0400
> >
> > When you reference a particular plugin, how does Maven know where
> to get it and what version to use?
How are you referencing it? There are several ways?

> > How do you change your local environment to make use of a specific
> version of a plugin?
Remove the others is the best way, or specify a dependency on the plugin.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Re: How are plugins found?

Posted by Martin Jaeger <mj...@netcetera.ch>.
Hi

I think the plugins are searched in the local repo and after this in
the remote repo...

Could someone tell me how I can use the optional plugins, now. Since they
are shifted out of the maven core plugins?
I had no problem to install the NCSS Plugin from sourceforge. But I can't
get a jar from the jdiff Plugin in the optional plugins.

I tried to check the project out of cvs to build it myself, but that
didn't created the jar that work (maven jar:jar).

Thanks a lot
Martin Jäger