Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/03/21 23:46:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1

Hi everyone,
This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1. Thanks
for the feedback on the previous RC. This is the next major release of
Phoenix compatible with the 0.94 branch of Apache HBase and will be our
second release in the incubator. The release includes both a source-only
release and a convenience binary release.

New features include:
- Equi-joins through broadcast hash join
- Shared tables over same physical HBase table
- Read-only and updatable views
- Multi-tenancy
- JDBC ARRAY type
- Sequence creation and usage

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-3.0.0-incubating-rc1/src/

The binary artifacts can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-3.0.0-incubating-rc1/bin/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/mujtaba.asc

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/KEYS

The tag to be voted upon:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v3.0.0-incubating-rc1

For information about the contents of this release see:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/v3.0.0-incubating-rc1

Release notes
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12326145&styleName=Text&projectId=12315120&Create=Create&atl_token=A5KQ-2QAV-T4JA-FDED%7C34a706e780c7e8f198c9ca903e80572b560599b6%7Clin

Vote will be open for at least 72 hours. Please vote:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks,
James

RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1

Posted by "Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S" <ra...@intel.com>.
Hi

-Checked the signature
-Compiled the src code
-ran all testcases
Looks good.
+1 from me.

Regards
Ram

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
+1

+ built from the tag
+ installed with HBase 0.94.18
+ created tables and (updatable) views
+ inserted some data
+ queried, including some joins
+ made sure IndexedWALEditCodec is fixed. Previous versions actually could hard-lock a RegionServer(!)

- inspected tarball (see nits below).

Nits:
There seems to be no (documented at least) way to produce the binary tarball from source.
When generating a tarball from source the scripts in the /bin directory do not work out of the box, the wrong path to the client jar is generated.
Is there some post processing or manual massaging done before the src and bin tarballs are released.
I think it's fine now, but going forward it should be obvious how to produce the exact binary distribution from source. That is the premise of open source.

-- Lars

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
+1
Checked signature
Built from src
Ran the tests
All looks good.

-Anoop-

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Eli Levine <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Simon Töns <si...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mujtaba Chohan <mu...@apache.org>.
+1.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 to release (non-binding)

* Verified the checksums and signatures on both the binary and source releases
* Ran rat successfully
* Checked the LICENSE, NOTICE, and DISCLAIMER files
* Ran full test suite successfully

One minor nit on the NOTICE file: the URL listed for SQLLine is
actually the JLine URL (seems to be a copy/paste error)

- Gabriel

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014, at 03:46 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1.

+1

Steven.