Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/02/01 22:39:48 UTC

RE: [VOTE] Discontinue Excalibur CLI ( was Re: [?EXCALIBUR] cli )

> Are there any *technical* reasons why Commons CLI is impossible to use
> as a CLI package for us?

Seems to me that Peter Donald raised an issues that still needs to be
verified, corrected, or voted upon as insignificant:

> > It is also coupled to several dependencies last time I checked.

Apparently, he feels that these additional dependencies prevent Commons CLI
from being a migration path.

Personally, I haven't a clue what dependencies or their significance.  Just
noting the specific outstanding issue.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Discontinue Excalibur CLI ( was Re: [?EXCALIBUR] cli )

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>>> Are there any *technical* reasons why Commons CLI is impossible to use
>>> as a CLI package for us?
>>

>> Seems to me that Peter Donald raised an issues that still needs to be
>> verified, corrected, or voted upon as insignificant:

>> Apparently, he feels that these additional dependencies prevent
>> Commons CLI
>> from being a migration path.
>

> commons-logging and commons-lang AFAIK.

There are no code depedencies on common.logging.
This appears to be an error in the build file.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Discontinue Excalibur CLI ( was Re: [?EXCALIBUR] cli )

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>Are there any *technical* reasons why Commons CLI is impossible to use
>>as a CLI package for us?
>
> Seems to me that Peter Donald raised an issues that still needs to be
> verified, corrected, or voted upon as insignificant:
>
>>>It is also coupled to several dependencies last time I checked.
>
> Apparently, he feels that these additional dependencies prevent Commons CLI
> from being a migration path.

commons-logging and commons-lang AFAIK.
Is that an issue for others too?

> Personally, I haven't a clue what dependencies or their significance.  Just
> noting the specific outstanding issue.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Discontinue Excalibur CLI [offlist]

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:

>> Commons CLI has a dependency on common.lang (used for String to type
>> conversion) and commons.lang has no dependencies. If you don't need
>> command line argument string value to type conversion then you don't
>> need to worry about commons.lang.  But anyway, I don't see that a
>> dependency to commons.lang as a problem.
>

> I find Commons lang really cool. Finally useful sugar for String
> utilities.
>
> Oh, and it also has a NestableException too, we have the cascading
> one...  we should decide if it makes sense to move to that eventually
> for A5 (no comment snow please, just a note).

Nicols:

I wrote almost the same thing - instead I noted the string to type
conversion scattered all around the place (DefaultConfiguration,
Parameters, etc), suggesting that this could be consolidated against
commons lang.  Then I snipped the paragraph on the grounds that I was
asking for trouble ;-).

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Peter Donald raised two objections: (1) that Commons CLI is not under
>>our control, and (2) that depedencies that Commons CLI has on other
>>projects.
>>

>I discarded the first as not being germaine, and only addressed the second.
>

>>Commons CLI has a dependency on common.lang (used for String to type
>>conversion) and commons.lang has no dependencies.
>>

>Just that one, and it is optional?

No. But if you don't use the feature of command line strong value to
object convertion - then you can run without problem using just the
commons-cli package.

>And using Commons lang will allow other things to simplify by using Commons
>lang for string conversions?

Yes.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 05:24  PM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> I remain in favour of giving Excalibur CLI a free ticket to Florida.

HEY! Some of us live in Florida! ;)
-pete

Re: [VOTE] Discontinue Excalibur CLI ( was Re: [?EXCALIBUR] cli )

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Are there any *technical* reasons why Commons CLI is impossible to use
>>as a CLI package for us?
>>

>Seems to me that Peter Donald raised an issues that still needs to be
>verified, corrected, or voted upon as insignificant:

Peter Donald raised two objections: (1) that Commons CLI is not under
our control, and (2) that depedencies that Commons CLI has on other
projects.

As far as "control" is concerned - I consider "out-of-our-control" to be
a plus.  Command line management is not something with the scope Avalon.
 The fact that a commons solution exists which is consitent with
Excalibur CLI is a real plus.  It means that we can confidently release
control.