Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ha...@mummert.de on 2004/04/26 09:24:51 UTC

Form entry/exit

I have major problems of prepopulating a form. Currently I have 3 different
action classes for 40 different forms, each with its own form class. The
form exit is well covered by Struts with the "validate"-method. But there
seems to be no form "entry" method. So I tried to use the
"validate"-method:

String formrequest = null ;

private ActionErrors
entry( ActionMapping mapping, HttpServletRequest request )
      {
      // Some entry code for prepopulation
      }

public ActionErrors
validate( ActionMapping mapping, HttpServletRequest request )
      {
      //----- Coming from outside
      if ( formrequest == null )
            return entry ( mapping, request );
      String req = formrequest ;
      formrequest = null ;
      request.removeAttribute ( Constants.KEY_FORMREQUEST );

Unfortunately, "request.removeAttribute" seems to do just nothing ?!?

The best way would be to offer an "entry"-method to pair the validate. Is
there any such planning going on?

Hajo Lemcke

AW: Form entry/exit

Posted by Axel Stahlhut <as...@neusta.de>.
Hi Hajo.

For what you call "entry" you can take the reset(...) method. It is
called even before validate.
Request.removeAttribute removes an attribute from tzhe attribute-table.
Attributes are a table of objects within the request, while parameter is
a list of the parsed request paramters. Attribute and Parameter are not
the same. For paramterlist there is no method exposed to remove single
Attributes.

Regards Axel