Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org> on 2015/05/11 09:51:45 UTC

New project website

Hey all,

I reworked the project website the last couple of days and would like to share the preview:

http://uce.github.io/flink-web/

I would like to get this in asap. We can push incremental updates at any time, but I think this version is a big improvement over the current status quo. If I get some +1s I'll go ahead and update the website today.

– Ufuk

Re: New project website

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
+1 This version looks much clearer and more professional.

Some comments:
- I would increase the font difference between headings and subheadings.
E.g. at http://uce.github.io/flink-web/features.html
- Quickstart is missing

Re: New project website

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: New project website

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@icloud.com>.
Great! :)

Re: New project website

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I like the new website a lot. Great Job Ufuk!
Here are some things that I notices while checking it out:

General:
- I find the text area a bit too wide for comfortable reading, especially
for long texts such as blog posts or the how to contribute guide.

Front page:
- Stack Figure: Don't stack libraries. It suggests that they depend on each
other. Can we put them vertical like on our slides?
- Links in latest blog posts not working
- The frontpage / first sentence does not make clear that Flink is also for
Batch (<- Same point Robert raised)
- I am always suspicious if someone says "real-time"
- Getting started does not link to the Quickstarts / Maven archetypes &
only shows Maven dependencies for Java API

Feature page:
- Data is not always "streamed all the way" in batch programs. There are
also dams.
- "You can use native Java and Scala data types without packing them into
key-value pairs, logical field addressing, and a wealth of operators." ->
Sentence can be misunderstood ("without packaging [...], logical field
addressing, and a wealth of operators")
- The usual question: Java or Scala code snippets

FAQ:
- I agree that some of the FAQs are outdated, but I guess more than two are
still relevant. We might think about adding more common questions that we
see on SO or the mailing lists.

Blog:
- Links in the right-side menu of the main blog pages are broken

Blog posts:
- Pictures in some blog posts are too large, IMO (Streaming, Hadoop, Join
post)

Re: New project website

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 for white websites indeed :-)

Some comments from my side:

   -  The logo in the menu is quite disproportional in Chrome and looks
   quite bad. I can send you a screenshot if you can't check. It looks good in
   Safari.
   -  The stack image is a bit blurry and also quite confusing. It might
   look like Gelly is built on top of Table API and ML on top of Gelly. Also,
   I get why Table is both on top of DataSet and DataStream, but I would add
   each component once and have a note "batch & streaming" instead of copying.
   First time I saw this on some slides, I thought it was a mistake :/
   - +1 for Community in the front page, but why not also keep the link in
   the menu?

Cheers,
Vasia.

Re: New project website

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Amazing work!

Re: New project website

Posted by Alexander Alexandrov <al...@gmail.com>.
PS. Is there a particular reason why the APIs are stacked above each other
in the picture (ML on top of Gelly on top of the Table API)? I was actually
picturing the three next to each other...

Re: New project website

Posted by Alexander Alexandrov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: New project website

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
+1 ship it

Re: New project website

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
The website is now online.

For all future feedback, either file a JIRA or start a new thread on the ML.

On 15 May 2015, at 14:34, Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 great work
>
> I don't like that the website design is now pretty much like the
> documentation design. This is confusing if you're on the documentation page
> because the navigation and URL completely changes. We should add a clearly
> visible button to lead back to the website.

I agree. We can also try a different color scheme for the project page header (both are currently the bootstrap defaults).

Re: New project website

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1 great work

Re: New project website

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: New project website

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: New project website

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
+1 :))

Re: New project website

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Re: New project website

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think we are in a state to merge this and continue with incremental changes. We should rather continuously improve the website instead of doing these stop-the-world all-or-nothing changes. ;-) The updated preview is still here: http://uce.github.io/flink-web

# Adressed:

- Stick with current features overview (raised by Felix, Stephan, Volker)
	* Felix: I like the current design better, since you get a really quick overview with many fancy pictures
	* Stephan: Add some pictures for features
	* Volker: I wonder where would people who do not know about Flink already find what it is about quickly in a concise way? I believe that the landing page should give  information about features in a "declarative way" (what, not how ;-) ) before going into details.

- Tag Line (raised by Robert, Alexander, Stephan)
	* Fabian: I am always suspicious if someone says "real-time"; The frontpage / first sentence does not make clear that Flink is also for Batch (<- Same point Robert raised)
	* Robert: The front page doesn't contain the word "batch" at all. People might be confused
	* Alexander: I think the top row text to be slightly revised. Flink offers a unified runtime and APIs for both batch + streaming, but at the moment the tagline suggests it is streaming only.
	* Stephan: Having a more prominent tag line
	=> changed tag line to have batch and streaming in it (no real time)

- Stack figure:
	1. Don't stack high-level APIs and Libraries on top of each other (raised by Fabian, Alexander, Vasia)
		* Fabian: Don't stack libraries. It suggests that they depend on each other. Can we put them vertical like on our slides?
		* Alexander: Is there a particular reason why the APIs are stacked above each other in the picture (ML on top of Gelly on top of the Table API)? I was actually picturing the three next to each other...
		* Vasia: It might look like Gelly is built on top of Table API and ML on top of Gelly. Also, I get why Table is both on top of DataSet and DataStream, but I would add each component once and have a note "batch & streaming" instead of copying. First time I saw this on some slides, I thought it was a mistake :/

	3. Improve image quality (raised by Vasia)
		* Vasia: The stack image is a bit blurry.

	4. Remove term language-integrated query (raised by Stephan)
		* Stephan: remove the term "Language Integrated Queries", I think that is trademarked by Microsoft

- Align frontpage cells Frontpage cell alignment (raised by Alexander, Felix, Timo, Stephan)
	* Alexander: I suggest to change the layout of the bottom half in the following way [...]
	* Felix: Can you align the structure that there aren't as many overlaps?
	* Timo: I think the diagram could be a little bit larger and the blog post smaller, so that the lines meet in the middle ;)
	* Stephan:  align the content as per Felix' suggestion

- Disqus comments for blog (raised by Robert)
	* Robert: The disqus comments are missing in the blog
	=> readded it to single posts

- Twitter on front page (raised by Robert, Ted)
	* Robert: The link to our twitter account could be more prominent. Maybe on the front page?
	* Ted: If there is an active twitter entity for Flink, I recommend framing that on the home page

- Broken links (raised by Robert, Fabian):
	* Robert: The frontpage link to the setup is broken => this is missing text in the docs, the link is OK
	* Fabian: Links in the right-side menu of the main blog pages are broken

- Top navbar:
	1. Add Community tab to navbar (raised by Vasia)
		* Vasia: +1 for Community in the front page, but why not also keep the link in the menu?

	2. Fix logo dimensions in Chrome (raised by Vasia)
		* Vasia: The logo in the menu is quite disproportional in Chrome and looks quite bad.

- Too wide for text (raised by Fabian):
	* Fabian: I find the text area a bit too wide for comfortable reading, especially for long texts such as blog posts or the how to contribute guide.

- Streamed data inside the system (raised by Fabian):
	* Fabian: Data is not always "streamed all the way" in batch programs. There are also dams.

# Won't address

- Table API on front page (raised by Robert)
	* why is the "Table API" so prominent on the front page? Other staging projects like python or the hadoop compat don't get a mention at all.

- Features: API text (raised by Fabian)
	* You can use native Java and Scala data types without packing them into key-value pairs, logical field addressing, and a wealth of operators." -> Sentence can be misunderstood ("without packaging [...], logical field addressing, and a wealth of operators")
	=> this is our current text on the front page.

- Scala vs. Java code snippets (raised by Fabian)
	* Fabian: The usual question: Java or Scala code snippets
	=> I'll keep the Java snippets for now. We can change this incrementally.

- Too few FAQ entries (raised by Fabian)
	* Fabian:  I agree that some of the FAQs are outdated, but I guess more than two are still relevant. We might think about adding more common questions that we see on SO or the mailing lists.
	=> The previous FAQ had irrelevant questions for the general project. This change separates docs FAQ and project FAQ. We need to add more questions though! I saw that Spark has a very nice project faq (https://spark.apache.org/faq.html) and we certainly have heard some of those questions as well.

# To be addressed

- Declutter (raised by Stephan, Kostas)
	* Stephan: tendency to pack too much content into a small space.
	* Kostas: I think starting with Ufuk's draft, de-cluttering it is a good start.

- Codetabs.js (raised by Robert)
	* Robert: The codetabs.js file contains (and actually logs) "HERE" to the javascript console of my browser. Looks like some leftover debugging code. codetabs.js also gets a "Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined" on the downloads page.
	=> Not our code and I didn't have time to look into it

- Increase font difference between headings (raised by Timo)
	* Timo: I would increase the font difference between headings and subheadings

- Quickstarts (raised by Timo, Fabian)
	* Timo: Quickstart is missing
	* Fabian: Getting started does not link to the Quickstarts / Maven archetypes & only shows Maven dependencies for Java API

- Too large pictures in blog posts (raised by Fabian)
	* Fabian: Pictures in some blog posts are too large, IMO (Streaming, Hadoop, Join post)

- Broken links (raised by Robert, Fabian)
	* Robert: basically all links to the documentation in the blog are broken
	* Fabian: Links in latest blog posts not working

- Add beta badge to components in flink-staging (raised by Robert)
	* Robert: Do you think adding a very little "Beta" badge on the system stack at the front page to the beta components would be a good idea? I think we should manage the expectations there. ML, gelly and the table API are all not part of any official stable release.

Re: New project website

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Re: New project website

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.