Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com> on 2004/03/05 09:06:25 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Newbie Question - Redirect vs Proxy

I detect a slight confusion about how the browser and server interact...
If I understand your post, you have one server and you want certain
requests to be served by another server. There are two ways to achieve
this:

1) Redirection: Server A receives the request and replies to the browser
with a 301 or 302 (Moved) response, telling the client to go to Server B
for the resource. The browser then makes a *second* request, directly to
Server B. Since this is a new request, the browser updates its location
window with the new URL. This seems to be what you have to the moment.
(See "Redirect" for details).

2) Proxying: Server A receives the request. A then makes a direct
request to Server B for the resource without saying anything to the
client. A receives the resource from B and then returns it directly to
the browser. Since the browser doesn't know that A got the data from B,
it does not update the location window. As far as the browser is
concerned, the data really are on Server A and all the proxying went on
behind the scenes. (See mod_proxy for details).

Caveat: It is also possible to run a proxy in redirect mode where it
*does* tell the client about the redirection but let's not worry about
that for the moment...

Does that shed any light on your problem?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.

RE: [users@httpd] Newbie Question - Redirect vs Proxy

Posted by we...@island.net.
Fully understood Boyle.  Thanks for the insight.  I am "green as
grass" on this part of the internet.  But, learning fast.....On 5 Mar