Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by simon <sk...@apache.org> on 2008/07/08 22:22:14 UTC

proposal: new Orchestra Flow subproject

Hi Al,

As you have hopefully seen from the wiki update recently, I have been
working on code that integrates page navigation and inter-page data
communication with the orchestra conversation concept.

It's now working in basic form, pretty much as the wiki describes it, so
I would like to commit this to the apache svn. There is enough for
people to give feedback on, or to start helping with if they wish.

The code is a clean layer on top of orchestra, so while it *could* be
merged into the orchestra core project, it can also be its own project.
Given that it does need a custom NavigationHandler and ViewHandler I
think a separate project is nicer; then people don't get custom handlers
installed if they just want orchestra conversations.

However it is really "sandbox" quality code at the moment, ie the APIs
and features could change significantly over the next few weeks. And
there has been no official vote on allowing this new Orchestra
subproject.

So I could either:

(a) create a sub-project myfaces/orchestra/trunk/flow, publish to
snapshot-repo and main myfaces website as normel, but make sure that the
welcome page for the website says SANDBOX in big letters and the version
number is something like 0.0.1

or

(b) check it in under a branch, and NOT publish the website anywhere.

I think (a) is enough; there is a fair chance that some form of this
code will eventually become a real project. And having both a site and a
normal location for the code makes life easier for everyone. The above
precautions should ensure that no-one thinks it is a real approved
myfaces project. And there is no problem removing it again if it does
not get approval.

So any objections to creating orchestra/trunk/flow and marking the
project as SANDBOX quality?

Regards,
Simon

Re: proposal: new Orchestra Flow subproject

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 for a,

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: proposal: new Orchestra Flow subproject

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> (a) create a sub-project myfaces/orchestra/trunk/flow, publish to
> snapshot-repo and main myfaces website as normel, but make sure that the
> welcome page for the website says SANDBOX in big letters and the version
> number is something like 0.0.1

+1

Often even the sandbox will be used also in production. Which is peoples
own fault, but it is as it is.

Given automatic installation of  NavigationHandler and ViewHandler I'll
second that it is a good idea to have it as sub-project even when it
will be released.
Also it clearly shows Orchestra's openess for anything else, even
another flow implementation.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: proposal: new Orchestra Flow subproject

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM, simon <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> As you have hopefully seen from the wiki update recently, I have been
> working on code that integrates page navigation and inter-page data
> communication with the orchestra conversation concept.
>
> It's now working in basic form, pretty much as the wiki describes it, so
> I would like to commit this to the apache svn. There is enough for
> people to give feedback on, or to start helping with if they wish.
>
> The code is a clean layer on top of orchestra, so while it *could* be
> merged into the orchestra core project, it can also be its own project.
> Given that it does need a custom NavigationHandler and ViewHandler I
> think a separate project is nicer; then people don't get custom handlers
> installed if they just want orchestra conversations.
>
> However it is really "sandbox" quality code at the moment, ie the APIs
> and features could change significantly over the next few weeks. And
> there has been no official vote on allowing this new Orchestra
> subproject.
>

> So I could either:
>
> (a) create a sub-project myfaces/orchestra/trunk/flow, publish to
> snapshot-repo and main myfaces website as normel, but make sure that the
> welcome page for the website says SANDBOX in big letters and the version
> number is something like 0.0.1

That sounds good to me, so +1

--
Matthias Wessendorf