Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/14 07:41:21 UTC

[users@httpd] htaccess

Hi,
Just trying to clarify it is best to allow these in the virtualhost
root on a per domain

For instance at present we have
<Directory />
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Require all denied
</Directory>

I know this is good :)

But then we have
<Directory "/var/www">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Options +Indexes
</Directory>

now assume each virtualhosts web root  is under
/var/www/virtuals/domain.name/var/www/html

I understand that current setup means apache looks in all dirs up to /var/www

So, am I assuming it is best in each <virtualhost> container I am
better off using a directory container like
<directory /var/www/virtuals/domain.name/var/www/html?
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</directory>
and removing  authconfig from the /var/www

I am thinking this saves a little performance as it then only looks
for .htaccess in

/var/www/virtuals/domain.name/var/www/html
/var/www/virtuals/domain.name/var/www/html/blog/
/var/www/virtuals/domain.name/var/www/html/blog/includes

rather than going up the chain further, is that correct? 3 looks versus 8 ?

Also seeing segfaults still occasionally, no further info on that,
with 2K hosts a machine it is impossible to peruse every log trying to
track down what host/request caused it.

Also (they say things come in threes!) any comments on previous post a
few days ago re "crazy logging" :->
Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] htaccess

Posted by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/12, Anam Ali Khan <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, Apache access.htaccess only at that point where you inserted
> AllowOverride in the directory container.
>
> It also saves a little disk io load on web server :)
>

> -Anam

Thanks for confirming my suspicions - busy day ahead :->

Re: [users@httpd] htaccess

Posted by Anam Ali Khan <an...@yahoo.com>.