Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/20 11:49:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] Adopt Mr Couché-Tard as our mascot, change the logo font to Alte Haas Grotesk, change the colour letter to "v"

The closest thing to a mascot that we have is

http://maven.apache.org/images/maven-logo-2.gif
"Arse on desk behind laptop while waiting for Maven to finish downloading
the interwebs"

I would like to call a vote in a couple of days to adopt M. Couché-Tard (my
own creation) as our mascot

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-owl-5-large.png
"M. Couché-Tard"

In addition I am suggesting that we change the logo font to Alte Haas
Grotesk Bold with italic applied by Inkscape

I am also suggesting that we change the emphasis colour letter to the v...
as in version... and we all know that Maven helps manage versions of
things... versions are very important to Maven.

The emphasis colour would be #cc0000 to match the scarf worn by "M.
Couché-Tard"

My proposal would be to make these changes as a single vote, i.e. not three
separate votes, the vote would be for all these changes in one go... in
order to avoid design by committee.

Having said that, community is more important than a new logo or even
having a mascot, so hence this discuss thread before actually calling a
vote.

This is something that not just the developers of Maven should have a say
in... if we have a mascot and a refreshed logo we can use these as aid to
help drive a site refresh that makes Maven easier to understand for
newcomers and helps existing users find what they are looking for easier
and faster.

For anyone not following the dev list, here is my reasons for picking "M.
Couché-Tard" as a mascot...

The definition of a maven is "an expert or connoisseur"... in the context
of Apache Maven, the idea is that Maven knows the conventions for different
types of software projects and is an expert in applying those conventions.
M. Couché-Tard is a wise fellow, sleeping-in while he waits for the
interwebs to finish downloading... he may look cute but if crossed or used
incorrectly he will bite a chunk off your hand... but do right by him and
he will do right by you.

So WDYT? should I just call the vote already or do people want to think it
over a bit more!

Re: [DISCUSS] Adopt Mr Couché-Tard as our mascot, change the logo font to Alte Haas Grotesk, change the colour letter to "v"

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
+100 - Bring on the tard.

--
Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
+100 - Bring on the tard.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Monday, November 24, 2014, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> Why does the owl need chest hair? (or whatever the oval patch is supposed
> to represent).

An owl does not *need* the patch of lighter coloured feathers that most
owls seem to have on their belly...

However, if you want an owl to look owlish, you kind of need to follow the
conventions...

Configuring an owl differently is certainly possible, but it's not really
the maven way!

--
Sent from my phone

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
On 24 Nov 2014, at 16:20, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Why does the owl need chest hair? (or whatever the oval patch is supposed to represent).

You've heard of Yak Shaving right? Well this is so we maven guys have something to shave when we're fighting dependency hell :)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, November 23, 2014, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My suggestion at this point is:
>
> 1. Ask Sally if we can get professional help.

I take it you're stepping up to do that ;-)

> 2. If there is none, or it endorses the Owl, or produces something we hate,
> go with the owl.

Works for me

> 3. as per Michael, don't name the Owl at all. Don't name the awl at owl?

Pah! I think the owl ha been named... We can either except "shotgun the
owl" as the name OR we can displace it with a new name... Though on a
personal note I will allways call it couché-tard ;-)

Having a name has another advantage...

Much easier to say "using profiles makes shotgun angry, angry owls have
been known to bite" and not come across as evangelistic as "using profiles
is not the maven way"

;-)

--
Sent from my phone

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','mfriedenhagen@gmail.com');>> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2014 10:42 PM, "Stephen Connolly" <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
> <
> > Java's mascot is called Duke... I don't think Sun trademarked Durk nor
> have
> > Oracle (yet... at least to my knowledge)
>
> Do not call for it ;-)
> I like the owl B (the style reminds me of a certain butler, though :-) )

For any "cartoony" style mascot with black outlining of the colours, you're
going to get a similar look.

I didn't like the look when I removed the black outlines, and going
monotone makes it hard to express the owlness

My reason for favouring a cartoony style is that a small number of solid
colours with black outlines tends to print on t-shirt etc much better than
gradients etc.

I like the http://cloudstack.apache.org monkey mascot. With it's skinny
body it can pull off the two tone without needing outlining. I don't see a
skinny owl working, certainly I could try removing the outlining as it
might work with the blue, but IIRC you need to make the head bigger than
the eyes to make that work and the beak gets lost...

So to TL;DR I wasn't consciously channelling Mr J, obviously I am a long
time contributer to that project, so my style of icons can veer
"Tango"-ish, but I think the style works well for what we need...
Ultimately the community decides in the end ;-)

> Regards
> Mirko
>

> > > Cheers,
> > > Paul

> Greek
> > > Hebrew/Jewish
> and
> > > wise

> -
> wise
> > > old
> wise

> is

> nor am
> the
> Greek
> > > one.

> > > Canada.

Sent from my phone

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Actually Sun had Duke protected and enforced it a long time, but they
released the restriction a few years back (2006), even released the artwork
under a BSD license. But the Java Cup Logo is still restricted. (
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/java-licensing-logo-guidelines-1908204.pdf
)

https://kenai.com/projects/duke/pages/Home

Gruss
Bernd
Am 20.11.2014 22:41 schrieb "Stephen Connolly" <

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 20 November 2014 21:36, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Trademarks are tied to an industry/usage. So someone using a name for a
> convenience store has no assertion over the same name used for software --
> at least that's how it works in the US. And I don't think we're looking to
> trademark the Mascot name, are we? I thought this was just a logo and the
> name is unofficial.

Correct.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, November 20, 2014, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2014-11-20 um 21:21 schrieb Michael Osipov:
>
>> My opinion on this:
>>
>> I do not like the connection between the owl and the word maven.
>> While the owl stands for wisdom in the Greek culture as on the Greek
>> euro coins, Maven is not of Greek origin. It is cleary of Hebrew/Jewish
>> [1] origin. I see no connection here. I would rather see an old and wise
>> man.

Well one advantage the owl has is that there is no obvious gender - apart
from my unconscious bias referring to it as Mr :-P - whereas the wise old
man could be perceived as biased, agest, sexist or belittling to wise women
(irrespective of age)

For that reason I think an animal with no obvious gender differences is
probably a better fit

>> I see no point on having 'v' in a different color, as if the word
>> consists of two syllables. It is just a coincidence that the words
>> 'maven' and 'version' have/share the 'v' combination.

Well how do you feel about our currently colour differentiated 'a'

We have a logo that has a single coloured letter, for continuity I believe
we need to retain a single differentiated letter.

I've played a *lot* with the word maven and my conclusion is that the v
feels a better choice than the a... That it has a logic - in terms of v
being short for version - however tenuous, makes it a winner for v3 of our
logo!

>> Unfortunately, I have artistic talent, so I cannot come up with a decent
>> vector graphic for an old and wise man :-(
>

> That was supposed to mean: I have no artistic talent...

Yeah I don't think I have talent of the artistic variety but I am
pleasantly surprised by the response Gunny the Owl is getting... You could
always give it a try and see what you get

Anyway, the real question is how would you feel if we hold a vote and
decide to make my proposed changes? Would you feel betrayed and abandon us,
or would you accept the verdict of the community?

AND FINALLY...

If we do vote to accept my creation, I am going to let the community decide
on our mascot's name. Obviously I'd like it if we went with the French name
I initially used as a placeholder: Couché-Tard... But a mascot for the
community should be named by the community

Sent from my phone

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
My opinion on this:

I do not like the connection between the owl and the word maven.
While the owl stands for wisdom in the Greek culture as on the Greek
euro coins, Maven is not of Greek origin. It is cleary of Hebrew/Jewish
[1] origin. I see no connection here. I would rather see an old and wise
man.

I see no point on having 'v' in a different color, as if the word
consists of two syllables. It is just a coincidence that the words
'maven' and 'version' have/share the 'v' combination.

Unfortunately, I have artistic talent, so I cannot come up with a decent
vector graphic for an old and wise man :-(

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maven

Michael

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
:-D
+1
Now we have something that truly sets the right tone for new users.
Might even get NRA support - perhaps even a public service grant.

Ron

Posted by domi <do...@fortysix.ch>.
+1 A

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/owl-in-fluido-skin.png

is what the owl and logo would look like in the fluido skin... of course
the main site needs a rework, so the content isn't right to start with...
but this should give a feel for how this will look on typical maven sites

On 20 November 2014 15:17, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
B +1

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
For Ron!

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Retter <ad...@googlemail.com>.
> Additionally; http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tard

Yes that is the one I was just about to bring up, it is politically
incorrect and well known in the UK as a slang word.

I think the name and mascot you have could lead to a trade-mark
argument with those retailers. Other than that perhaps serious
concern, I liked the mascot but not the name.

--
Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter
tweet: adamretter
http://www.adamretter.org.uk

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Additionally; http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tard

Kristian

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Stephen Connolly <
stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> The closest thing to a mascot that we have is
>
> http://maven.apache.org/images/maven-logo-2.gif
> "Arse on desk behind laptop while waiting for Maven to finish downloading
> the interwebs"

This made my day; thanks for that.

Best,
Laird