Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org> on 2011/09/14 01:47:25 UTC

backwards compatibility tests

i'm just putting this out there: we have a backwards compatibility
requirement, and we try to make sure that we achieve it, but we don't
have any tests for it. does anyone have any great ideas (and perhaps
energy to implement) about how to do some nice tests? it would be nice
to do it is a very low maintenance/automatic way.

ben

Re: backwards compatibility tests

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
What scenarios would we want to test in particular?

old/new - referring to previous/current version of zk respectively:
1) x.y.z -> x.y.z+1
2) x.y.z -> x.y+1.0

also:

1) new client -> old ensemble
2) old client -> new ensemble
3) ensemble containing a minority of new server (and both old/new clients)
4) ensemble containing a minority of old server (and both old/new clients)

3 & 4 would also need to test rolling upgrade process, with attached clients.

Patrick