Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ken <fc...@aol.com.INVALID> on 2021/12/16 19:27:05 UTC

formatting; hyphens, dashes and SpellCheck

I have simply lost track of formatting changes.  I want to undo the lot of them and start over. Particularly I want to turn off Spell Check and restore the hyphen-to-dash feature, and I DON'T want automatic bulleting or paragraph numbering. Community forums aren't helpful because there are a million posts up there, most of which have nothing to do with my problem and most of the rest involve a different computer or a different mistake someone made, and when I do get to a question that looks like mine, the solution given there doesn't work.  I just want to go back to start. What do I do?  I just downloaded and installed Open Office 4.1.11 on my computer, which has Windows 10.  Still on my computer are shortcuts to OO 4.1.6, 4.1.9, and 4.1.10.
Ken Howes

Re: formatting; hyphens, dashes and SpellCheck

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 20:41 16/12/2021 +0000, Ralph McCrum wrote:
>Good Luck Ken [who asked to be able to turn off all automatic
>formatting changes].
>I DON'T want automatic bulleting or paragraph numbering And A Few
>Other Things either. But After The Answers I Got On Bullets And
>Numbering, I Never Ask About Anything Else. I'll Be Watching To See
>If You Get Better Answers Than I Did

That's odd, since I explained this on 10 November. What's more, you
were kind enough to write back and thank me, saying that my
suggestions "Worked Great And Fixed The Problem".

For the benefit of others, there are two parts to the answer:

o First, the easy way. When you type something that stimulates this
automatic "correction", the typing and the correction are treated as
separate actions. This means that you can easily cancel the
correction using Edit | Undo (or Ctrl+Z), leaving the original typing
that you intended. Since the automatic facility is often helpful -
ensuring, for example, that your numbers are properly sequential -
this may well be the way to go.

o But if you do want to disable the facility, just remove the ticks
from appropriate options at Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Options
- in particular, from "Apply numbering - symbol: *".

Brian Barker

Re: formatting; hyphens, dashes and SpellCheck