Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Justin Almquist <ju...@pnl.gov> on 2004/09/29 18:04:00 UTC

Migrating Cocoon publication to Lenya

The past year or so we have been developing a CMS/Knowledge Base built on
Cocoon.  The key feature of this system is it's ability to reuse elements of a
page (e.g. paragraph of text or a graphic) across mulitple pages.  These
reusable pieces of a page are saved to a database and then Cocoon's XSP
feature is used to dynamically build a page by accessing the database to
retrieve the contents.

Now we are interested in incorporating more tradional CMS features into the
system such as workflow, user management, and versioning.  Obviously, Lenya
has already tackled these problems and is also built on Cocoon.  My question
is whether or not Lenya can handle managing XSP pages as the "content" of the
publication.  This is different from the example publications that all have
static content since our application has very little static content, but
instead has XSP pages that dynamically create the pages by accessing the
database.

Any feedback on whether or not this is possible would be greatly appreciated
as I'd much rather leverage Lenya's hard work than have to reinvent the CMS-
wheel.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Migrating Cocoon publication to Lenya

Posted by Justin Almquist <ju...@pnl.gov>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq <at> quoininc.com> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Justin Almquist wrote:
>
> > Now we are interested in incorporating more tradional CMS features
> > into the system such as workflow, user management, and versioning.
> > Obviously, Lenya has already tackled these problems and is also
> > built on Cocoon.  My question is whether or not Lenya can handle
> > managing XSP pages as the "content" of the publication.  This is
> > different from the example publications that all have static
> > content since our application has very little static content, but
> > instead has XSP pages that dynamically create the pages by
> > accessing the database.
>
> Yes, it certainly can.
>
> Do you want to have end user edit the xsp fragments directly?
> Normally, I would place things like xsp outside the editable region
> of the pages.

Yes, the users do need to be able to edit the xsp since they will be acting as
authors of the page and need to make decisions about the content (which is XSP
code).  However, another of our primary goals is to create a user interface
for page creation/modification that hides the technology's gory details from
the user.

I'm just getting started with Lenya so I'm not even sure which question to ask
next, but I guess I'll try to get some XSP pages working.

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

--
JP