Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Weber, Lance" <La...@McKesson.com> on 2002/09/17 19:53:24 UTC

[Proposal] Scamp: Source Control Abstraction

Following some interesting discussions on the Maven list, I'd like to
propose starting an SCM abstraction project, tentatively named Scamp.

Proposed Goal:
Scamp is a Source Control Manager abstraction layer. It provides a standard
interface to SCM systems allowing common source control operations such as
checkin/checkout, labelling/tagging, reading changelogs and diffs.

Initial design goals:
-- expose a stable SCM interface contract for consuming applications (Maven,
Ant, etc).
-- provide extensible infrastructure for specific SCM implementations.
-- configuration driven implementations
-- file system independent
-- supports multiple projects, multiple/distributed source providers

Architecture:
My initial thoughts are to utilize a combination of AbstractSCMFactory and a
SourceControlManager interface with concrete implementations of both. We
might possible need some secondary classes representing projects,
connections, and filesystems, but I'm not sure on those yet.

0.1 Release Goals/Requirements:
-- First version of SCM Interface, focused on primary/core SCM operations
-- AbstractSCMFactory
-- Stubbed concrete factories for cvs/vss/vfs?
-- exception infrastructure

Any thoughts, feedback, requirements, design, existing code pointers, etc
very welcome. Potential participants more than welcome!!

Thanks, Lance

Lance Weber
Chief Architect
CareEnhance Services & Systems
McKesson Health Solutions

message.

Re: [Proposal] Scamp: Source Control Abstraction

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Hi Lance,

I think this JSR is quite related to your proposal:

   http://www.webdav.org/deltav/wvcm/

Albeit inspired by WebDAV/DeltaV, I believe it is supposed to be
generic. Also, AFAIK, it is initiated by an Eclipse team member, so its
implementation is heading open-source.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de

Re: [Proposal] Scamp: Source Control Abstraction

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.
I think it's a great idea. There's a lot of commonality between the various
SCM systems, from the client point of view. There's just one thing.

Could it have a less interesting name?

When looking through commons, I think we need more names like cli, discovery,
collections and logging.

Trying to figure out what betwixt, latka, and jelly do is a challenge. And
that's a barrier to entry that isn't good in a library code repository.

Just my $0.02.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1. Great idea.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 13:53, Weber, Lance wrote:
> Following some interesting discussions on the Maven list, I'd like to
> propose starting an SCM abstraction project, tentatively named Scamp.
>
> Proposed Goal:
> Scamp is a Source Control Manager abstraction layer. It provides a standard
> interface to SCM systems allowing common source control operations such as
> checkin/checkout, labelling/tagging, reading changelogs and diffs.
>
> Initial design goals:
> -- expose a stable SCM interface contract for consuming applications (Maven,
> Ant, etc).
> -- provide extensible infrastructure for specific SCM implementations.
> -- configuration driven implementations
> -- file system independent
> -- supports multiple projects, multiple/distributed source providers
>
> Architecture:
> My initial thoughts are to utilize a combination of AbstractSCMFactory and a
> SourceControlManager interface with concrete implementations of both. We
> might possible need some secondary classes representing projects,
> connections, and filesystems, but I'm not sure on those yet.
>
> 0.1 Release Goals/Requirements:
> -- First version of SCM Interface, focused on primary/core SCM operations
> -- AbstractSCMFactory
> -- Stubbed concrete factories for cvs/vss/vfs?
> -- exception infrastructure
>
> Any thoughts, feedback, requirements, design, existing code pointers, etc
> very welcome. Potential participants more than welcome!!

I think this would be great. There's code lying around all over the
place and it would be nice to collect it together in one place.

+1

I know several people using Maven have been wanting to use various SCMs
and I'm sure Ant could use this code too.

Maybe we could put out a call for any SCM related code people have lying
around (JCVS would be great to get a hold of), pile it all in the
sandbox and start sorting it out. Maybe the CruiseControl folks would
like to donate what they have.

> Thanks, Lance
>

> Lance Weber
> Chief Architect
> CareEnhance Services & Systems
> McKesson Health Solutions

> and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
> message.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [Proposal] Scamp: Source Control Abstraction

Posted by Richard Sitze <rs...@us.ibm.com>.
Have you taken a look at how Eclipse handles this?

http://eclipse.org

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>