Posted to dev@tajo.apache.org by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com> on 2013/05/02 05:08:20 UTC

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Hello,

I managed to upload in Google Melange my project proposal (http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/camelia/22001) and I kindly ask You if You can enter Melange and have a look at it and give me some feedback prior to the deadline, so that I can make any needed adjustments to be perfect!

Thank You very much in advance!

Yours sincerely,
Camelia

From: Eli Reisman <ap...@gmail.com>
To: dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 6:11 PM

I think its a wonderful idea, but the window of time is closing and I am so
tapped out I have barely had time yet to dig into Tajo myself. Next year I
would like to help mentor some folks. I think your contribution would be
great. Hopefully some of
 our other wonderful committers can discuss your
proposal with you. Did you leave a comment on the JIRA explaining what
you'd like to do and your basic approach? This would help the committers
get an idea of how your implementation woudl work, and if it fits the
direction of the Tajo query engine.

I would also suggest not to get discouraged if you miss the deadline.
Working on Apache projects is extremely rewarding and I know firsthand you
will have all sorts of opportunities to leverage strong contributions to a
project like Tajo into an influential role in growing this tool. That can
lead to all sorts of exciting work as a domain expert down the road.
Patches welcome, always!

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM, camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I'm interested in
 contributing to the Apache Tajo proiect and since the

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Camelia,

I have added the link to Tajo GSoC page.

I think our mentor Chris could add you to have edit access to Tajo wiki.
You can let us know your wiki username.

- Henry

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Dear Camellia,

I'm sorry for the belated reply. In overall, I agree on your approach. Your
work looks great. However, I would like to advise a couple of things.

First, although the part on which you have focused is not frequently
updated, I would like to encourage you to rebase continually your work on
updated source code. Your current work is based on the old revision of
Tajo. Sometimes, a number of small changes may make code merge very hard.

Second, I think that LogicalOptimizer class is the better place to perform
validateOuterJoin and rewriteOuterJoin methods. Those methods seem to be
executed before selection and projection push down. You could place your
methods before them.

Finally, maybe, you've tried to traverse join conditions (i.e., EvalTree).
EvalTreeUtil has various and helpful methods that you may want.

In addition, I'm always available on google talk (hyunsik dot choi at gmail
dot com). If you don't have google account, I'll be on #tajo at freenode.
If you want to discuss something in an instance way, please use either one.

Best regards,
Hyunsik Choi

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Thank You for Your kind feedback!

I began coding and I uploaded the source code written so far on the website at https://sites.google.com/site/gsoc2013tajo34/home/validation.

It is uploaded as an attachment and there are some other files with tests I've done.

I continue with the optimization of changing outer joins to inner joins, whenever suitable , in method rewriteOuterJoin, as proposed in EXT 3.3 in the Software Design Document.

 To: "tajo-dev" <de...@tajo.incubator.apache.org>
 Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2013, 10:04 PM

 Camellia,

 wrote:

 > Thank You very much for Your feedback and for the
 materials You added this
 > week on the Wiki.
 >
 > Yours sincerely,
 > Camelia

 camelia c

 Software Design
 > > Document for this project,
 > > > as
 this period,
 > > and I hope that by the start
 to have the
 > > version 1 of it to discuss
 > > > it

 You prefer
 > > that I keep track online of
 > > > the
 site or a
 > > blog or what else do You
 of the
 > > progress at this project.

 Saputra

 Outer Join

 1:14 AM

 camelia c

 for
 > > having accepted my proposal for the TAJO

 of good

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Camellia,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Thank You very much for Your feedback and for the materials You added this week on the Wiki.

Yours sincerely,
Camelia

--- On Sun, 6/16/13, Hyunsik Choi  wrote:

&gt; From: Hyunsik Choi
&gt; Subject: Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join
&gt; To: &quot;tajo-dev&quot;
&gt; Date: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 11:21 AM
&gt; Camellia,
&gt;
&gt; Your design document is really well surveyed. That includes
&gt; very helpful
&gt; literature. If there are issues which are out of scope of
&gt; your project
&gt; (TAJO-34) and should be done before your work, please feel
&gt; free to ask me
&gt; or create additional Jira issues.
&gt;
&gt; Thanks,
&gt; Hyunsik
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM, camelia c
&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &gt; Hello,
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I uploaded version 1 of the SDD and here are some items
&gt; to discuss &
&gt; &gt; questions:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; 1) I assumed that the join condition is specified in
&gt; the FROM clause, not
&gt; &gt; in the WHERE clause. Is this assumption fine?
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; 2) Are there any PK and UNIQUE constraints in TAJO?
&gt; &gt;          --&gt; this is
&gt; related to EXT 3.2 in the SDD, which otherwise is not
&gt; &gt; possible
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; 3) At stage 5, DEC5.1. not sure if needed.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; 4) I need to understand better the link between
&gt; TaskRunnerLaunchImpl,
&gt; &gt; TaskRunnerListenerImpl, Task  and TaskRunner. Is
&gt; any documentation
&gt; &gt; available, please?
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Next week, I plan to make a diagram as well and to take
&gt; some example
&gt; &gt; queries and analyze the output of each stage of
&gt; processing for them.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; I look forward to receiving Your feedback!
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Thank You!
&gt; &gt; Camelia
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; --- On Sun, 6/2/13, Hyunsik Choi
&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; From: Hyunsik Choi
&gt; &gt; Subject: Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join
&gt; &gt; To: &quot;tajo-dev&quot;
&gt; &gt; Date: Sunday, June 2, 2013, 9:59 PM
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Camelia,
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Wow! That site really looks great and very informative
&gt; to us.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; - hyunsik
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM, camelia c
&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Hello,
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; This is the website I&#39;ve created:
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; https://sites.google.com/site/gsoc2013tajo34/home
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Thank You,
&gt; &gt; &gt; Camelia
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; --- On Thu, 5/30/13, Henry Saputra
&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; From: Henry Saputra
&gt; &gt; &gt; Subject: Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join
&gt; &gt; &gt; To: &quot;dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org&quot;
&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Date: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 3:00 PM
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; You can link it to the Tajo wiki to help
&gt; centralize the info about GSOC
&gt; &gt; for
&gt; &gt; &gt; Tajo: http://wiki.apache.org/tajo/GSoC2013
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Or you can create a page in the wiki for the
&gt; design too.
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; - Henry
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Hyunsik Choi
&gt;
&gt; &gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Hi camelia,
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; That&#39;s good start. We could find the right
&gt; way from your design
&gt; &gt; document
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; for this project.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; If your work is available online, I don&#39;t
&gt; care. You can use Google
&gt; &gt; site,
&gt; &gt; &gt; a
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; blog, or github. You also can share your work
&gt; on your blog and some
&gt; &gt; code
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; repository like github.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Best regards,
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Hyunsik
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:31 AM, camelia c
&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Hello,
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; I started working at the Software Design
&gt; Document for this project,
&gt; &gt; as
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; planned in the schedule for this period,
&gt; and I hope that by the start
&gt; &gt; &gt; of
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; next week( Monday, June 3rd) to have the
&gt; version 1 of it to discuss
&gt; &gt; it
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; with
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; You.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Also, I was wondering how do You prefer
&gt; that I keep track online of
&gt; &gt; the
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; work at the project: a Google site or a
&gt; blog or what else do You
&gt; &gt; &gt; suggest?
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Something like a weekly diary of the
&gt; progress at this project.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Thank You very much,
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Camelia
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; --- On Tue, 5/28/13, Henry Saputra
&gt;
&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; From: Henry Saputra
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Subject: Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; To: &quot;dev@tajo.incubator.apache.org&quot;
&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Date: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 1:14 AM
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Woot!
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; On Monday, May 27, 2013, camelia c
&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Hello,
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;  Thank You very much for
&gt; having accepted my proposal for the TAJO
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Project!
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Looking forward to plenty of good
&gt; results working at TAJO,
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Camelia
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt;

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Camellia,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Tejas,

Thank you. I'll continue to write additional descriptions :)

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Tejas Patil <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi Camellia,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi camellia,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Camelia,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi camelia,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Woot!

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Re: [GSoc2013] - Outer Join

Posted by camelia c <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Thank You very much for Your kindness and feedback!
I also look forward to a fruitful collaboration!

Yours sincerely,
Camelia

From: camelia c
 <ca...@yahoo.com>