Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org> on 2005/08/18 12:00:49 UTC

strange webfolders behaviour when opening word docs

Hi!

I'm using the WInXP+SP2 with Office 2000 as a test client. Whenever I
try to open e.g. a Word document on the Slide webdav server, I get
prompted for username+password. Even if I have let windows save my
account data I get that prompt, only with both username and password
already set.

Now I looked at the network traffic, trying to figure out why this
happens. It seems that internally, as soon as Word takes over to open
the document, a different client is used ("MS Data Access Internet
Publishing Provider Cache Manager" instead of "MS Data Access Internet
Publishing Provider 1.1"). This "Cache Manager" does not include the
session cookie in its request (and neither the basic HTTP authentication
header) and so it receives a status 401 reply.

I have not been able to find anything about this in the known
WebFolderIssues in the Wiki. So I have no idea what is causing this and
whether there is a way to work around this bug.
Does anybody know more about this issue/possible workarounds?

 Edmund

Re: strange webfolders behaviour when opening word docs

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
Maximo Gurmendez wrote:

> I have the same problem.. I still didn't manage to find a solution...
> If you find one, I'll be very grateful :)
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmund Urbani" <em...@liland.org>
> Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 7:00 AM
> Subject: strange webfolders behaviour when opening word docs
>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm using the WInXP+SP2 with Office 2000 as a test client. Whenever I
>> try to open e.g. a Word document on the Slide webdav server, I get
>> prompted for username+password. Even if I have let windows save my
>> account data I get that prompt, only with both username and password
>> already set.
>>
>> Now I looked at the network traffic, trying to figure out why this
>> happens. It seems that internally, as soon as Word takes over to open
>> the document, a different client is used ("MS Data Access Internet
>> Publishing Provider Cache Manager" instead of "MS Data Access
>> Internet Publishing Provider 1.1"). This "Cache Manager" does not
>> include the session cookie in its request (and neither the basic HTTP
>> authentication header) and so it receives a status 401 reply.
>>
>> I have not been able to find anything about this in the known
>> WebFolderIssues in the Wiki. So I have no idea what is causing this
>> and whether there is a way to work around this bug.
>> Does anybody know more about this issue/possible workarounds?
>>
>> Edmund

There has to be some sort of workaround for this. When I tested
Webfolders+Office with Xythos's webdav server at www.sharemation.com,
there was no password prompt. Looking at the network traffic, I saw that
the session cookie was sent with every request (even with requests from
that "Cache Manager") as one would expect. I could not figure out why
though.

Posted by Maximo Gurmendez <mg...@british.edu.uy>.