Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by shailendra singh <sh...@outlook.com> on 2014/11/25 11:54:33 UTC

FW: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

After posting my question to Tomcat users mailing list I realized that I should have posted my question to this mailing list.  Hence this email.

Some of the information is already mentioned in my previous email which I sent to Tomcat users mailing list.

Basically I am trying to figure out what is the proper way to do multi threading in a servlet container like tomcat.  Java EE spec mentions that it should be done using JSR 236 api but I am unable to find a way to do so as it seems that available implementations for this JSR have dependency on EJB api. So if JSR 236 is for doing multi threading in an application server then what is/are the options for servlet containers like tomcat?

- Shailendra

From: shailendra_01@outlook.com
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: RE: JSR 236 with tomcat 8
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 05:53:46 +0000

JSR 236 seems to be only way to create managed threads in Java EE servlet/ejb containers. I am working on a framework (piston - http://github.com/koyadume/piston-master) which I am supporting on tomcat only. Since this framework is based on Java EE 7, I can't use TomEE at this moment.

I would like to split some tasks in multiple parallel tasks in my framework. As it is advised not to create own threads in a Java EE servlet/containers, I would like to avoid using Java SE concurrency utilities to solve this issue. This is the issue which JSR 236 tries to solve. Hopefully this makes my intention clear.

RE: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by shailendra singh <sh...@outlook.com>.
This question is more about extending the tomcat and not about using the tomcat. So I posted it to this mailing list.

It will be really helpful if some guidelines can be published to help people understand when they should post their questions to this mailing list. Don't want to bother the dev team unless its absolutely required.

- Shailendra
http://in.linkedin.com/in/lnkshailendra
http://github.com/koyadume
http://pistonportal.wordpress.com

Re: FW: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

RE: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by shailendra singh <sh...@outlook.com>.

Chris,

I simply responded to a comment from JLouis where he suggested me to go for TomEE for my requirement. I was not expecting response from any other person.

So yes I asked for an information about TomEE on Tomcat mailing list but that question was for JLouis and not for any other person.

Re: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Shailendra,

RE: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by shailendra singh <sh...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

RE: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by shailendra singh <sh...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for first responding to my similar query on your blog and then here.

Re: FW: JSR 236 with tomcat 8

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: FW: JSR 236 with tomcat 8