Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Stephen Knudsen <yo...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/22 18:10:34 UTC

Problem with Opening Microsoft *.xlsx Spreadsheets with Open Office

Problem summary:
I was sent a spreadsheet saved in *.xlsx  format,  but I do NOT have
Microsoft Excel on my HP machine.
When I attempt to open this file using Open Office,  it locks up Open
Office and "pretends" to load the spreadsheet indefinitely
(with CPU resources hogged to the tune of 24% ..... WTF?)
Tried to rename the offending *.xlsx  file.... to a different extension,
an  "ods" file extension....but my Win7 does not allow me using "save as"
to do this

What is the problem here?   And what is the workaround?

-Stephen Knudsen

RE: Problem with Opening Microsoft *.xlsx Spreadsheets with Open Office

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
You can rename a file in the File Explorer, but that is not going to be helpful.  Leave it named .xslx for the greatest possible success.

As Rory suggests, you can try the Kingsoft (now WPS Office) 30-day freee trial to see if that will open the file successfully.  WPS office is strongly-focused on interoperability with the Microsoft Office formats.

You can also try the free Excel on the Web in your browser.  You will need a OneDrive account, if you don't have one yet.  Then you can upload Office files to OneDrive and then open and work with them in your browser.  It is best to have Windows 7 or later on your HP machine.

 - Dennis

PS: For any follow-up, please reply to users @ openoffice.apache.org where other experts may have advice and others can learn the solutions to common problems.  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/,

You can try using www.zamzar.com who offer a free online conversion service. It is also possible that LibreOffice or Kingsoft Office may open the file.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Problem with Opening Microsoft *.xlsx Spreadsheets with Open Office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Tony Gallas <to...@spin.net.au>.
G'day!
My machine runs W8.1 and has no trouble opening .xslx or .docx files
using AOO 4.1.1. Just checked it again. Perhaps there is something not
related to the different software that is causing the problem?

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.