Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2008/07/01 09:23:26 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Strange problem with taskdef and antlib.xml]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de> wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig schrieb:

>> Is there any more information you could provide (like the actual
>> exception being thrown)?  It could be the ZIP reading library as
>> well.
>
> no i get only the line i already posted our server uses a class that
> is similar to the AntBuilder of Cruise Control, it kicks off ant
> scripts; the exception comes from ant, taskdef task i think, when he
> wants to read antlib.xml via ZipInputStream or something

I'm even more convinced that it is something with the ZIP archive
itself.

>> <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4188883>
>> suggest problems with the archive rather than the XML file.
>
> that was one of the bug reports i already found but it wasn't very
> helpful.

Sure not, but together with

> btw. what's the meaning of =
> "oversubscribed dynamic bit lengths tree" ?
> simple words please ;-)

and my only response "I have no idea" we get deeply into zlib.  If you
use the serach machine that is not a verb on that phrase you will only
find references to zlib or other code using zlib internally to read a
zip archive.

Stefan

Re: [Fwd: Strange problem with taskdef and antlib.xml]

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
> that runs on all machines. So finally i doubt, the
> jar is corrupted. Therefore my question whether there's
> a difference ...
>
> but i'll try jar -tvf ...

jar -tvf problem.jar didn't come up with any
exception / extraordinary , just the usual listing of
all files contained in the archive.

>>> is there a difference between jar loading
>>> when
>>> a) taskdef with classpath path="..."
>>> b) taskdef with jar in %ANT_HOME%/lib
>>
>> In a way, yes.  If it is in ANT_HOME/lib it will be loaded by a
>> different ClassLoader but should be using the same ZIP-reading
>> classes.

So, finally i run of ideas. I'll let it rest, and tell
you again, when putting the next task into the jar,
extending the antlib.xml again.

Regards, Gilbert

Re: [Fwd: Strange problem with taskdef and antlib.xml]

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
Stefan Bodewig schrieb:
> but different physical instances of the same jar file.

yes, of course

> What does jar tf your-file.jar report - make sure to use the jar
> command of the same JDK that you are using to run Ant as well.

i didn't try that, but wrote a test class that uses
an InputStream as ant does, wrote a test ant script
that uses
<taskdef resource="...">
  <classpath path="..."/>
</taskdef>

that runs on all machines. So finally i doubt, the
jar is corrupted. Therefore my question whether there's
a difference ...

but i'll try jar -tvf ...

>> is there a difference between jar loading
>> when
>> a) taskdef with classpath path="..."
>> b) taskdef with jar in %ANT_HOME%/lib
>
> In a way, yes.  If it is in ANT_HOME/lib it will be loaded by a
> different ClassLoader but should be using the same ZIP-reading
> classes.

In substance there should be no difference, after all it's
an InputStream

>> i know it's not an ant bug but a java problem,
> I hope I didn't sound like "go away".

No problem, i got the meaning :-)

>> as the ProjectHelper* classes only use a simple InputStream, but i
>> thought someone on that list could help, already came across the
>> same problem.
>
> Fair enough.  I've never faced that situation myself and am running
> out of ideas, sorry.

you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly how i feel ;-)

Regards, Gilbert

Re: [Fwd: Strange problem with taskdef and antlib.xml]

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilbert Rebhan <an...@schillbaer.de>.
Stefan Bodewig schrieb:
> I'm even more convinced that it is something with the ZIP archive
> itself.

hm ,works fine on two machines, but failed on a third one.
all run with the same version of jdk, ant and the same OS

the error message =
"Error reading project file: ... " occurs only in
ProjectHelper and ProjectHelperImpl classes in ant 1.6.5
and comes from the catch block of an InputStream

my last tests with

<taskdef resource="de/.../.../ant/antlib.xml">
   <classpath path="path/tothejar/that/didnt/work/>
</taskdef>

and the same jar that didn't work with
<taskdef resource="de/.../.../ant/antlib.xml"/>
and %ANT_HOME%/lib/xxx.jar worked like a charm on the production
machine with a small test script that loads some selfwritten
tasks ?!?!?!?

completely baffled ... but i'm not allowed to try it again
with the real production scripts and
<taskdef resource="de/.../.../ant/antlib.xml"/>
combined with %ANT_HOME%/lib/thejarthatdidntworklateley.jar

is there a difference between jar loading
when
a) taskdef with classpath path="..."
b) taskdef with jar in %ANT_HOME%/lib

why does the same jar file fails only on one machine, is there
a kind of jdk configuration when dealing with ImputStreams
or loading of jar files ?!

it did run fine on all machines before adding the new task
and extending the antlib.xml

>> btw. what's the meaning of =
>> "oversubscribed dynamic bit lengths tree" ?
>> simple words please ;-)
>
> and my only response "I have no idea" we get deeply into zlib.  If you
> use the serach machine that is not a verb on that phrase you will only
> find references to zlib or other code using zlib internally to read a
> zip archive.

i know it's not an ant bug but a java problem, as the ProjectHelper*