Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Bourget <ro...@dbourget.com> on 2000/04/16 05:44:02 UTC

jdk 1.3 bug or feature

Hello all,

I think I may have found a bug in jdk 1.3 rc3 that affects the built of
xerces-j. I said in an earlier post that I was unable to build the
org.apache.xerces.dom package. However, compiling with jdk 1.2.2 is ok. I'm
not so sure its a real bug because it is a big problem and I can't believe
it was not reported/fixed until then.

For testing purpose I was simply trying to compile a specific class of
org.apache.xerces.dom and I was setting the classpath manualy to the current
plus my java/src dir. My manual tests gives the same results than when I
build using the makefile.

The error occurs when trying to access a static member of a class which is
imported from the org.w3c.dom package. See :

/mp/xml-xerces/java/src/org/apache/xerces/dom :javac AttrNSImpl.java
AttrNSImpl.java:126: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable NAMESPACE_ERR
location: class org.w3c.dom.DOMException
            throw new DOMExceptionImpl(DOMException.NAMESPACE_ERR,
                                                   ^
This is the same error I reported ealier, with jdk1.3rc3. And everything is
fine when replacing the javac command to specify my jdk1.2.2 javac.

I dont think there is a problem with the DOMException class because when
removing its package declaration and putting it in my current directory (the
unamed package), everything is ok. Notice also that this is not the class
that is not found (in which case the compiler would have said that the class
symbol could not be resolved), but only its member variable. I encounter the
same problem with 00s of static variables and functions from this package..

I'm using win2k + jdk1.3rc3 + cygwinb20 + freeamp (heh?)

So, to summarize : don't use the rc3 jdk ;-)

Please tell me if I'm all wrong!!