Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Helmut Eggebert <he...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/22 19:06:04 UTC

One J2 Instance for Many Sites

Hi Users,

I have over 100 static sites on a web server and I would like to add some
portal functionality to them all.  However, the server doesn't have the
capacity to run 100+ instances of J2.

What is the best way to run one instance for all 100+ sites?  The sites all
have different looks and, ideally, we would like the portal to be slightly
different for each.

Is there a way to do Virtual Hosting in J2?  If not, is this planned?  If
so, is there documentation on this configuration?

Thanks!

Re: One J2 Instance for Many Sites

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Helmut,

There are some options for you using the profiler and perhaps some
custom rules that allow for subsites. However, how do you plan on
distinguishing the individual sites... login, url, request parameters,
or other means? If you have constraints in this area, it can make all
the difference in which approaches are available to you. There is one
potentially significant limitation to the subsite support: all of the
users of the portal would still be administered togther and there would
be one central administrator. J2 does not yet have the concept of true
virtual portals.

Randy