Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1998/07/04 20:26:43 UTC

Re: Resurce Temporarily Unavailable : Could not spawn child process for ..

Piotr, I'm not a freebsd user... but many of the other developers are, so
I cc'd them on this.

Dean

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Piotr, I'm not a freebsd user... but many of the other developers are, so
> I cc'd them on this.
>
> Dean
>
> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Piotr A. Sygula wrote:
>
> > Dear Dean,
> > I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-971225-SNAP release with Apache 1.3b5 on a
> > 200Mhz Pentium Pro with 128MB of RAM.  I'm running into spawnig problems
> > when the server reaches a certain level of usage.  I know that I have
> > plenty of system resources left avilable...
> >
> > >From looking over the problem reports, I was pointed to the FDLIMIT
> > dilemma.  I edited Configuration in the src subdir of the apache dist.
> > tree by changing
> >
> > EXTRA_CFLAGS=
> > to EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=4096
> >
> > Then I ran Configure and then make.  Compilation went with no prob. so I
> > copied the new executable, and HUPpped the parent process.

Err ... HUPing won't load the new binary, will it?

> > Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem, the errors still occur as
> > though nothing changed.
> >
> > My question is : Did I screw up somewhere, or maybe skipped a vital step
> > ?  Do I need to screw with libc, or is my FreeBSD current enough to
> > where I don't have to worry about it ?
> >
> > Please help, I've been battling this problem for the past three weeks,
> > and now my customers are getting peaved b/c their CGIs only run
> > sometimes.  I feel like an idiot cause I don't know what to tell them.
> >
> > Could you please walk me through upping the FDLIMIT (if you think that
> > that is the root of the problem) ?
> >
> > Thank you kindly in advance...

I had this problem on a FreeBSD box. Turned out it was coz someone had
launched Apache from a tcsh shell. tcsh sets the process limit to 64 by
default, it seems.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/

Re: Resurce Temporarily Unavailable : Could not spawn child process for ..

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.
Did you check 'ulimit' ? On 3.0 these are quite limited compared to older
vrsions. You might want to run 'ulimit -a' from a CGI and from the eff.
user id of the server to see what it is set to.

Dw.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
This is probably due to resource limits, specified in /etc/login.conf.
Erm... perhaps not in that version of FreeBSD, but it is in current 2.2
and 3.0-current FreeBSD's.

Run a "ulimit -a" from the shell (assuming a Bourne shell) before starting
Apache, and that will show you the resource limits.  The "max user
processes" is the main one to worry about.