Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gary Marshall <gw...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/02 15:21:21 UTC

What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?

All:

I have a Vista machine stoked with maximum memory. The following has
occurred each time I complete an install of Tomcat 6.0 followed by a reboot
of my computer.

I downloaded and successfully installed Tomcat6 setting the checkbox on the
component page that generaates during install that sets Tomcat to start
automatically with Windows . Each install resulted in a Tomcat icon placed
in the system tray at the lower right in Windows, which allows me to stop
and start Tomcat as needed.

Now, I reboot my machine.  When the machine gets to the Window desktop a
"red X" dialog box displays stating " Acess is denied.  Unable to open the
server 'Tomcat6'". I am repeating the message here letter for letter exactly
as it is shown in the dialogue box that pops up.  So I click "OK"

Now at the Windows desktop, the Tomcat Monitor icon is not in the system
tray.   In order to start Tomcat I have to click on Start -> All Progbrams
-> Apache Tomcat 6.0 -> Tomcat Manager.  This brings up the logon dialog and
then I am in the Tomcat manager panel.  However I cannot stop Tomcat since I
cannot open the Monitor, since the icon that existed in the system tray
after the install and before the reboot is not there anymore.

I have had this same behavior several times.

Can anybody tell me what I am missing? Do I need to set some property or
setting someplace in order to get the Tomcat Monitor be on the system tray
and available for my use at all times?

Thanks to all for your assistance.

gary

Re: What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi,

> You'll still get the annoying UAC box, but that can't be avoided
> unless the program is digitally signed.

A suggestion here - the Apache Tomcat project should start signing
windows binaries. That way once the user trusts the source the UAC
crap ought to disappear (or not be as ugly.)

You are right about the run as administrator thing. But it is also
possible to install and set "FullTrust" on an executable with a piece
called "SetSecurity". This might make the "Run As Administrator" moot.
I'm no Windows expert (I'm an avoider) and installs get pretty
technical (I couldn't avoid creating one for an Excel Add-in last year).

Is this a discussion for the dev list?

Regards,
Dave
(Apache POI)

RE: What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Gary Marshall [mailto:gwjm56@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?
>
> So it appears that Vista and its security
> measures may be the culprit here.

Yes, I already explained that; did you read it?
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=123601722728285&w=2

> Anyway, as long as I get the Tomcat Service Manager running
> in the system tray so that I can turn Tomcat on and off as
> needed I'll be OK..... I think.

You don't need the monitor in the system tray to do this; there are two other options:

1) Use the standard Services snap-in (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services).

2) Use the tomcat6w.exe program directly, on an as needed basis.  Unless you've set the "Run this program as an administrator" check box in the tomcat6w.exe properties, you can't just double-click it; you'll have to right-click on the file, then select the "Run as administrator".  You'll still get the annoying UAC box, but that can't be avoided unless the program is digitally signed.

 - Chuck

Re: What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?

Posted by Gary Marshall <gw...@gmail.com>.
To all:
Thank you for your time in assisting me here.

I should mention that while I am having this issue with Tomcat 6 on my
personal Vista machine at home I also installed Tomcat 6 on the XP box I use
as a developer at work (don't tell them, ok? :) ).  I do not have this issue
with Tomcat 6 installed on this XP box.  Though after a reboot of the XP box
the Tomcat Service Manager does not show up in the system tray I am able to
have it show up by clicking on Start -> All Programs -> Apache Tomcat 6.0 ->
Monitor Tomcat. I do not get any kind of "red X" dialogs complaining about
what I am doing.  So it appears that Vista and its security measures may be
the culprit here.

In doing some brief googling about turning off UAC I have found a way or two
to turn it off, however several what appeared to me to be technically
intelligent individuals have recommended not turning off UAC, saying its a
bad thing to do.

Anyway, as long as I get the Tomcat Service Manager running in the system
tray so that I can turn Tomcat on and off as needed I'll be OK..... I think.

Thanks again
Gary

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.

>  Wouldn't Windows or Tomcat complain if I did this and it was already
> started?

To make sure if tomcat is in fact running you can either check taskmanager
or look inside services.msc.

> To enable the Tomcat monitor, find the tomcat6w.exe program (not
> tomcat6.exe) in Tomcat's bin directory with Explorer, right-click on the
> program entry, select the Compatibility tab, and then check the "Run this
> program as an administrator" box.  This will allow the Tomcat monitor icon
> to be placed in the system tray and start the service.  However, you will
> still get an annoying UAC dialog box at boot time asking you to ok what you
> did; I don't know how to get rid of that without turning off UAC completely.

To disable UAC you can run msconfig, on the last tab, there is and option to

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> However, you will still get an annoying UAC dialog box at boot time
> asking you to ok what you did; I don't know how to get rid of that
> without turning off UAC completely.

"Install a real operating system" seems to be the preferred answer :-(.

UAC is a horrible kludge to put at least some constraints on all the legacy code that just assumes it has full access to the machine; the "correct" answer would be to fix all the legacy code, but that is probably almost as large a job as ensuring Y2K compliance for all Windows software.  Ain't going to happen, unfortunately.

- Peter

RE: What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Gary Marshall [mailto:gwjm56@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: What happened to the Tomact 6 Monitor?
>
> The scenario I define here happens EVERY TIME I install
> and then reboot my Vista machine, within which, I believe
> I have admin rights.

You probably don't.  Unlike previous versions of Windows, Vista does not grant administrative privileges to an account just because it's a member of the Administrators group.  Whatever program you want to execute as an administrator has to be started with the "Run as Administrator" option.

Posted by Gary Marshall <gw...@gmail.com>.
Hello and thank you for your prompt response.
I should have been more detailed in my explanation and environment.  The
scenario I define here happens EVERY TIME I install and then reboot my Vista
machine, within which, I believe I have admin rights.  This Vista machine is
my own personal machine.

Unfortunately as I write this, I am at the office, and not at home so I
cannot check that Tomcat is in fact running when I see that security "red X"
dialog box generate, and I am sure that the default permissions are set on
the directory where Tomcat is installed.  I am sure that Tomcat is not
running when this dialog appears because, as I stated, I am allowed to start
Tomcat by clicking on Start -> All Programs -> Apache Tomcat 6.0 -> Tomcat
Manager.  Wouldn't Windows or Tomcat complain if I did this and it was
already started?

Another important point:  At any time, when I click on click on Start -> All
Programs -> Apache Tomcat 6.0 -> Configure Tomcat I get the same "Red X"
dialog box stating "Access is denied.  Unable to open the server 'Tomcat6'".

Hmm... Are you thinking that possibly Vista is disallowing the Tomcat
Monitor from running?

Thanks again
Gary

FYI... I