Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Tzanko Matev <ts...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/01 21:08:26 UTC

How to log uncaught exceptions during job execution

 Hello,

I am trying to attach Sentry to our Flink cluster to track job execution.
Sentry acts as a logger which captures messages and sends them to a central
server. By default it captures all messages with level WARN or higher.

To get Sentry to catch all problems, I need to write a WARN or ERROR log
message whenever an operator raises an uncaught exception. If the restart
strategy fails, the execute() method in the Execution Environment will
throw the final exception, which I can log appropriately. But I have not
yet found a way to log exceptions which cause the job to restart. Flink
logs them as INFO messages, but that makes them difficult to filter from
the rest.

What is the appropriate way to handle uncaught exceptions in Flink jobs?

Best wishes,
Tzanko