Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/09/10 18:03:46 UTC

Re: RE: Eve integration with Geronimo

Hey guys,

As a Hurricane refugee (sounds weird saying that) I have no dependable internet connectivity so I appologize for getting to these emails so late.  And thank you Noel for letting people know.

Now for Geronimo integration Alan and I had discussed making some components into GBeans.  We were debating whether or not to make the entire server into one GBean or to make all services in the server into a GBean.  To show how that is done Alan whiped together a few wrappers for all the services here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/eve/trunk/frontend/geronimo/?root=Apache-SVN

But after he did this we began thinking the single GBean approach for all of Eve may be better.  So with Alan's examples I think one of us can pick up the torch and write a single wrapper pretty easily for plugging into Geronimo.

There are however some considerations.  We have begun to decouple the backend code from Avalon and will have pure pojos with Avalon wrappers.  This must happen before the backend can be integrated as well as the frontend code.

Also we have begun to separate out frontend plumbing from LDAP specific code in Eve's frontend.  This code is a TCP specific SEDA framework.  We're going to make this into a subproject on its own so we can reuse it for a Eve integrated Kerberos server without tight coupling (it can also be standalone).  Trustin Lee (guy who did Netty) will be looking into adding UDP support to this in project.

So what does this all mean for integration?  Well we want to write wrappers for this SEDA framework where Eve just plugs in as another simple protocol to be able to benefit from those wrappers.  By writing a geronimo wrapper for SEDA rather than an Eve specific frontend we now allow any protocol to be fired up within geronimo without having to specifically integrate that protocols frontend.  WDYT?

So we really want to write a SEDA framework wrapper intead of one specifically for Eve.  This also makes me think if its worth writting wrappers for the backend of Eve and this raises several questions I still don't have answers to but these I'll leave for other emails.

Hope that helps,
Alex