Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Aubuchon <ke...@charter.net> on 2006/02/28 03:35:50 UTC

gen-make.py

I'm trying to create the cmd line client for Win32. I execute the following:

python gen-make.py -t
 --with-httpd=..\httpd-2.0.54    --with-berkeley-db=db4-win32 --with-openssl=..\openssl-0.9.7f
     --with-zlib=..\zlib --enable-nls --enable-bdb-in-apr-util

1. Do I need the --enable-bdb-in-apr-util switch for the cmd line client?

2. This message is part of console output: DB not found; assuming db-4.2.x
in db4-win32 by default.
I installed the berkeley DB binaries, and they are in the PATH. The version
is 4.4. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Re: gen-make.py

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Kevin Aubuchon wrote:
> I'm trying to create the cmd line client for Win32. I execute the
> following:
>
> python gen-make.py -t --with-httpd=..\httpd-2.0.54
> --with-berkeley-db=db4-win32 --with-openssl=..\openssl-0.9.7f
> --with-zlib=..\zlib --enable-nls --enable-bdb-in-apr-util
>
> 1. Do I need the --enable-bdb-in-apr-util switch for the cmd line client?
The problem with the Windows build is that it doesn't let you drop tings
that aren't strictly necessary. In theory, you should be able to build
the client without BDB (and you can do so on Unix). In practice, the
Windows build isn't flexible enough.

That said, you should only use --enable-bdb-in-apr-util *once*. That
switch tells gen-make.py to modify the apr-util headers and project
files to link with BDB.

> 2. This message is part of console output: DB not found; assuming
> db-4.2.x in db4-win32 by default.
> I installed the berkeley DB binaries,
You'll also need the headers and libraries, not just the binaries.

> and they are in the PATH.
We don't search the path. You should point to the BDB install dir with
the --with-berkeley-db switch. gen-make.py expects a certain layout
there (you can find an example in
http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/24470/db-4.3.28-win32.zip).
I quite frankly don't know if the BDB installer creates the same layout.

> The version is 4.4. Is there a setting I'm missing?
You need a parameter for -t; I suspect you actually did have one, or the
reported error would've been different.

-- Brane