Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sean Finney <fi...@cs.swarthmore.edu> on 2002/04/10 06:06:19 UTC

one more try...

i posted several days back with a question and still haven't gotten
any kind of response.  i figure i'll give it one more try, and if
i don't recieve a response chalk it up to something that can't
be done...

is there any way to override IndexIgnore?  the docs say specifying
something else in .htaccess only appends to the value.  i've found
numerous other posts to newsgroups et c. with the same question, none
of which have been answered.

if anyone knows if this can (or can not) be done, could you please
let me know?  and if not, does anyone know of a good indexing
script i could use either through cron or as a cgi script instead
of using apache's built in indexing?

thanks
--sean

Re: one more try...

Posted by Mark Constable <ma...@renta.net>.
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:06, Sean Finney wrote:

> is there any way to override IndexIgnore?  the docs say specifying
> something else in .htaccess only appends to the value.  i've found
> numerous other posts to newsgroups et c. with the same question, none
> of which have been answered.

Can you describe what you actually want to do ? Is it
functionality or only the appearance you want to change ?

Autoindexing can be turned off or enhanced by using the
"ReadmeName" and "HeaderName" attributes to completely
theme an apache indexed paged.

--markc

Re: one more try...

Posted by Mark Constable <ma...@renta.net>.
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:53, Sean Finney wrote:

> well, i have several readme.this readme.that files for different
> parts of different programs in the same directory, and iirc
> readmename/headername only print one file's contents to the top of the
> listing.  all i want to do is have the file show up with all the
> others.

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# RCS HEADER* CVS *,v *,t
ReadmeName myreadme

--markc

Re: one more try...

Posted by Mark Constable <ma...@renta.net>.
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:24, Sean Finney wrote:

> I don't think you understand what I'm trying to do, allow me to
> clarify:

Thanks.

> IndexIgnore is already specified in the default config, to which for
> all intents and purposes i don't have write access:

Bummer. I did not see your first message.

> IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t
>
> I need something I can put in a .htaccess file that overrides these
> default settings, and 'unignores' README.  using what you specify
> only appends more (duplicate) rules to be ignored.
>
> any ideas?

Seems like unignoring IndexIgnore is not possible so
you'll have to write a custom index handler.

--markc

Re: one more try...

Posted by Sean Finney <fi...@cs.swarthmore.edu>.

Re: one more try...

Posted by Sean Finney <fi...@cs.swarthmore.edu>.
On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 02:43:35PM +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:06, Sean Finney wrote:
>
> > is there any way to override IndexIgnore?  the docs say specifying
> > something else in .htaccess only appends to the value.  i've found
> > numerous other posts to newsgroups et c. with the same question, none
> > of which have been answered.
>
> Can you describe what you actually want to do ? Is it
> functionality or only the appearance you want to change ?

(as I described in the first email:) I want to make some files that
are ignored by the default IndexIgnore rules viewable in the listings
of specific directories.  i.e., README et al in the source directories
for projects i'm working on.  i don't really care about the appearence,
i'm happy with apache defaults, i just want to 'unignore' some files.