Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Niklas Johansson <ni...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/17 17:09:55 UTC

[users@httpd] How to configure SSL with apache2/httpd mass virtual hosting using mod_vhost_alias

I have been searching quite a bit now but couldn't find any answers.

I have configured apache for mass virtual hosting. I.e.:

##httpd.conf
UseCanonicalName off
VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/html/%0
##

I will have the same "main" domain with different subdomains pointing
to the virtual hosts. I have created a self-signed cert for testing
purpose with common name *.mydomain.com. There's one IP for the entire
server.

How can I configure apache to use ssl for my vhosts?

And if possible, added to above I would like to achieve this as well:

1. Can I define a directory, or preferable some files (e.g. login
page), that should be excluded from the ssl? All vhosts are basically
different instances of the same application (except the ones I mention
in 2 below).

2. Can I define some vhosts that should not use ssl (I have full
control of the subdomain name for those). This will be two
application, my home-page (www) and some administrative application.
If it's not possible to make exceptions, I guess I will just put those
on another server.

Except the ones I mentioned in 2 above, all virtual hosts will be
created automatically based on users request.

I could find examples of how to do this using mod-rewrite with the
exception that it wasn't for mass-domains (i.e. < VirtualHost > was
used).

What's the tricks for achieving this?

If not possible, I would be most happy to get some hints about how to do this.

Thanks!