Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ms...@aol.com on 2002/07/26 21:16:04 UTC

Automatically Redeploy WAR's

Hello,

I've been experimenting with WAR's on my dev server and have found that after a WAR is deployed for the first time, it is not redeployed on subsequent server bounces.  I've looked through the functionality in /manager and can find nothing that allows you to have a web app redeploy the WAR on server startup.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Mike

RE: Automatically Redeploy WAR's

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
To really make sure it gets deployed you have to delete the webapp from the
~/tomcat/work/servername directory.

So, if you want, add something to your startup.sh script (or startup.bat)
like
rm -rf /tomcathome/work/servername/webappname

That will clear it completely and force Tomcat to redeploy it.
I have Ant doing that job with something like this:

  <target name="redeploy" description="Removes the webapp from the
classloader">
    <delete dir="/tomcathome/work/servername/webappname"/>
  </target>

And I call that target from the <target name="compile"> target to make sure
my App is cleared from Tomcat.  I think the new Tomcat 4.1 has an integrated
Ant
task to do this, and maybe a better way in the manager app.  But until then
think you have to use one of these two options.

Charlie