Posted to users@apex.apache.org by Amol Jadhav <am...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/17 18:47:57 UTC

Questions regarding Apache Apex

Hi,

We are planning to use Apache Apex in our application for analytics. Input
data will be coming from multiple sources. I have been assigned to do a POC
for this.

My question:

1. How to integrate Apache Apex in my web based (Java+ J2EE) application
2. We have our own dashboard. The analytics result would be shown on our
own dashboard.
3. Is there any specific framework to be used in our application to
integrate Apex in our application.

Could you please suggest any starting document for this?

Thanking in advance.
Regards,
Amol Jadhav

Re: Questions regarding Apache Apex

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Amol,

Apex is a distributed processing engine and the benefits of the engine are
seen when run in a distributed environment like hadoop, not on a single
machine. Having said that, it is still possible to run an apex app in local
mode from within your application.

Check out this intro talk to get a better idea about Apex and how you can
use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxdbTGbRLJ4 (starts around 15 min
mark)

The REST API Sasha mentioned is for communication with visualizations, not
to get the source data. Most common input sources are through files,
message buses etc.

Regards,
Ashwin.

Ashwin.

Re: Questions regarding Apache Apex

Posted by Amol Jadhav <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ashwin and Sasha for your reply.
I am wiser now. I am going to implement as suggested by you. Will come back
with specific questions as I progress in project.

Thanks again.
Amol

Posted by Amol Jadhav <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ashwin and Sasha for your reply.
I am wiser now. I am going to implement as suggested by you. Will come back
with specific questions as I progress in project.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Amol Jadhav
Mobile : (+91) 9764232682

Posted by Sasha Parfenov <sa...@apache.org>.
Amol,

Posted by Amol Jadhav <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sasha, Ashwin and Sandesh for your reply.

I have already downloaded Sandbox and successfully ran sample programs.

DTGateway is the thing I am looking for. Thanks Sasha for pointing out.

Now coming to the question asked by Ashwin,

"When you say integration with web based application, are you thinking of
running apex within your application? The reason I am asking is because
Apex is an engine that runs on hadoop. You can send your web application
data into the apex application using any of the input operators depending
on the protocol. Can you specify more details for this communication?"

Yes, my initial plan is to run Apex within my application. Is this
possible? If yes, then how?

From your question, it looks like, I need to keep Apex engine and my

Posted by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>.
Hello Amol

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Amol,

As Sasha mentioned, you can generate your metrics in the apex application
and expose them through the gateway api for your dashboard.

I have a few questions regarding the input data. When you say integration
with web based application, are you thinking of running apex within your
application? The reason I am asking is because Apex is an engine that runs
on hadoop. You can send your web application data into the apex application
using any of the input operators depending on the protocol. Can you specify
more details for this communication?

Regards,
Ashwin.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Sasha Parfenov <sa...@apache.org> wrote:

> A good starting point for such integrations to learn more about
> functionalities of Gateway <http://docs.datatorrent.com/dtgateway/> and REST
> API <http://docs.datatorrent.com/dtgateway_api/> it offers.  You can
> launch, manage, and get stats about Apex apps using Gateway API.
>
> For integrations with your own dashboards, if you would like to expose
> simple custom metrics, you can start with AutoMetrics API
> <http://apex.apache.org/docs/apex/autometrics/>.  And for more advanced
> use cases, if you would like to query application data and see custom
> results, you can follow the App Data framework
> <http://docs.datatorrent.com/app_data_framework/> document.
>
> Let me know if you more specific questions about each one.
>
> Thanks,
> Sasha Parfenov
>

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Amol Jadhav <am...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are planning to use Apache Apex in our application for analytics.
>> Input data will be coming from multiple sources. I have been assigned to do
>> a POC for this.
>>

>> My question:
>>
>> 1. How to integrate Apache Apex in my web based (Java+ J2EE) application
>> 2. We have our own dashboard. The analytics result would be shown on our
>> own dashboard.
>> 3. Is there any specific framework to be used in our application to
>> integrate Apex in our application.
>>
>> Could you please suggest any starting document for this?
>>
>> Thanking in advance.
>> Regards,
>> Amol Jadhav

Ashwin.