Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Andrew Kennedy <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2015/02/10 22:14:01 UTC

Java Seven and Eight

Hi.

What is our current policy for Java 1.7.x and 1.8.x usage? I see that there
have been some recent PRs that changed to use the proper Java `javac`
compiler instead of Groovy, and some references to fixing build errors with
java 8 as well.

Can (Should?) we be using JVM and JDK 7 features in the code now? What
about lambdas and other JVM 8 features? I had an ideafrom  somewhere that
we are restricted to Java 6, perhaps for some reason to do with jclouds?
But, that doesn't seem right...

FYI, based on Oracle documentation [1] Java 6 'End of Public Updates' was
February 201, and for 7 it is April 2015. Their 'Premier Support' for Java
6 will end on December 2015, and July 2019 for 7. We're good until March of
2022 for 8, with 'Extended Support' for that lasting until 2025!

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Cheers,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew kennedy ? distributed systems hacker :
http://blog.abstractvisitorpattern.co.uk/ ;

Re: Java Seven and Eight

Posted by Svetoslav Neykov <sv...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
When discussing support for Java versions, keep in mind that there are users relying on alternative implementations, most notably IBM Java. Version 8 is still in beta, while version 6 will be supported for almost 3 more years - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/lifecycle/ <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/lifecycle/>.

Svet.

Re: Java Seven and Eight

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Re: Java Seven and Eight