Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <be...@basistech.com> on 2016/03/31 17:15:15 UTC

Diagnosing config problems concisely

I have one or two cases where the failure to set a config parameter or copy
a file into etc makes the system unusable. These are diagnosed, today, by
throws from activation methods, which results in a very noisy spew of log
messages -- the actual problem can get lost in the noise.

Is there any way to plug something in that would run very early, and could
abort startup after complaining?

Re: Diagnosing config problems concisely

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It would be possible to check config and define an alert in Decanter yes.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Diagnosing config problems concisely

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think it would be difficult to create such a feature in a generic way.
What you could do is create a bundle that checks the availability of the
relevant services your application provides and throws a meaningful
error if someting is not working.
This bundle could then also stop karaf in this case.

Christian

On 31.03.2016 17:15, Benson Margulies wrote:
> I have one or two cases where the failure to set a config parameter or
> copy a file into etc makes the system unusable. These are diagnosed,
> today, by throws from activation methods, which results in a very
> noisy spew of log messages -- the actual problem can get lost in the
> noise.
>
> Is there any way to plug something in that would run very early, and
> could abort startup after complaining?

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de