Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2009/11/16 16:05:58 UTC

Thoughts about dropping support for 2.1.x......

Question for everyone.....

What are peoples thoughts about making 2.1.9 (in January) the last of the
2.1.x line?

2.2.x will have been out for 10 months by then so users definitely should have
had plenty of time to migrate.   2.2.x is generally a simple migration from
2.1.x.   I think most of the other major open source projects that were
tracking 2.1.x have already moved onto 2.2.x.   ServiceMix, Camel, JBoss,
etc...     The remaining projects that are using 2.1.x seem to be stuck on a
particular version (like Mule stuck on 2.1.3) and not "tracking" the fixes
anyway.

The main migration issue from 2.1.x to 2.2.x is the JAX-RS version (0.8 ->
1.0).   However, we aren't fixing any of the JAX-RS issues on 2.1.x anyway.
Thus, that's not a real reason.  If you are using JAX-RS, you definitely want
the compliant implementation in 2.2.

Anyway, making 2.1.9 the end of the line should then make it such that when
2.3 is ready (hopefully in Q1), we can just keep 2 fixes branches active.

Thoughts?  Comments?

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Thoughts about dropping support for 2.1.x......

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
+1 also (if it hasn't been decided yet.)

Glen

Posted by Alessio Soldano <as...@redhat.com>.
Fine with me too.
Cheers
Alessio

--
Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: Thoughts about dropping support for 2.1.x......

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@progress.com>.
Hi

> Question for everyone.....
>
> What are peoples thoughts about making 2.1.9 (in January) the last of the
> 2.1.x line?
>
> 2.2.x will have been out for 10 months by then so users definitely should have
> had plenty of time to migrate.   2.2.x is generally a simple migration from
> 2.1.x.   I think most of the other major open source projects that were
> tracking 2.1.x have already moved onto 2.2.x.   ServiceMix, Camel, JBoss,
> etc...     The remaining projects that are using 2.1.x seem to be stuck on a
> particular version (like Mule stuck on 2.1.3) and not "tracking" the fixes
> anyway.
>
> The main migration issue from 2.1.x to 2.2.x is the JAX-RS version (0.8 ->
> 1.0).   However, we aren't fixing any of the JAX-RS issues on 2.1.x anyway.
> Thus, that's not a real reason.  If you are using JAX-RS, you definitely want
> the compliant implementation in 2.2.

I agree

> Anyway, making 2.1.9 the end of the line should then make it such that when
> 2.3 is ready (hopefully in Q1), we can just keep 2 fixes branches active.
>
> Thoughts?  Comments?

+1. Sergey